Wednesday 8 May 2013

Chicken and okra casserole

I am a spontaneous shopper. I saw the okra on offer yesterday, and grabbed a small bag, then came home and started wondering what to do with it. I found some lovely curries with okra and yogurt, but I had none of the specific Indian spices apart from garam masala that the recipes were asking for. Then I came across a Turkish recipe of a chicken casserole with okra, and having a look around the kitchen, decided that I have the necessary ingredients, more or less. If you want to cook the authentic version of Chicken and okra casserole, read the link from The New York Times.




I have adapted the recipe to suit my list of ingredients and downsized it considerably. I only had 125g of okra rather than the whole pound.

Chicken and okra casserole with yogurt
Ingredients:
8 chicken pieces
125g okra
2 big tomatoes, chopped
5 heaped tbsp of Chobani fat free plain yogurt
juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove
1 onion
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground coriander
salt, pepper
1tbsp Wild Rose el Hanout
1 tsp of plain flour

Heat the olive oil in the large casserole or wok-style pan, add the flour-dusted chicken pieces. Season with salt, pepper, coat evenly with Rose el Hanout and ground coriander.
In a separate frying pan fry the finely chopped onions and okra (sliced in half). Once the onion is slightly caramelised, add the onion/okra mix to the casserole with chicken, squeeze the juice of one lime and stir well. Add a chopped clove of garlic and tomatoes. Pour some water and cover the casserole with the lid. Cook on slow for about half an hour. Five minutes before you finish cooking, add the yogurt mixed with 1 tsp of plain flour.

I used the Chobani fat free yogurt, which is very thick and tastes amazingly good.



Serve with rice (I used Tilda Lemon rice).



The result: a total triumph of flavours. I am so going to do it again. Next time I'll try a meatless version of just the okra in yogurt dish, with perhaps more tomatoes. Absolutely delicious.




Adding this recipe to #CookItBlogIt linky on the inspiring The Diary of a Frugal Family blog.


7 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I am a big fan of Okra, but sadly we can't really find it here! I usually search some out in a curry house when I am at home though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am sure I haven't tried Okra yet... I'll add it to my list of things to try as this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks nice, I have never tried okra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must try Chobani yoghurt. Hear so much about it.
    Your recipe is great. And the yoghurt and flour will do a great trick of thickening the sauce !
    I assume you can also cook it in a Tajine with less water ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the tagine would work beautifully, and yes to less water. Chobani is a very thick yogurt, so I would still dilute it a bit for the sauce.

      Delete
  5. Okra is the bomb.com! Love this matching, as so many okra dishes are curry related. We can't wait to cook up in the Chobani Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never, ever tried Okra but this looks gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking up with #CookItBlogIt x

    ReplyDelete