Sunday 10 October 2021

Photo diary: weeks 39 and 40, project 365

If I had to choose a word of the month, it would be "tired". I'm feeling tired, both physically and psychologically. Sasha's college only offers two sessions per week. That meant just six hours per week in September, which left me with hardly any time to do anything. The rest of the time my boy is at home, and he finds it difficult, being used to going to school every day in the past. 

But now that he is 19, there is not much on offer. On top of that, the transport was routinely late every single time, making excuses about traffic and lack of staff. Half an hour of waiting for the transport meant half an hour less in college. 

Thankfully, his hours increased from six per week to ten per week, but that's it. We haven't had any respite for over a year and a half, and I'm not sure if it's going to happen any time soon, certainly not this year.

I find the idea that not much is going to change in the near future quite depressing.


Chez Maximka, Witney

It was such a hot Sunday, we were wearing t-shirts and tops with short sleeves on our walk in town. A few days later, I felt like walking around home, wrapped in a blanket, as it turned so chilly. Our house is over 300 years old, with the flagstones on the ground floor, and could get pretty cold.

Chez Maximka

I enjoy walking through the flood fields, bordered with hawthorns and blackberries. The branches laden with berries look so pretty and festive. 

When my Mum was visiting us for the last few times, we picked bunches of berries to dry, and she made an infusion with them. The hawthorn berries and leaves are supposed to be good for people who have high blood pressure. 

I wish my Mum were here now, I miss her so much. I call her every day on the phone, but it's not the same. I want to hug her and never let her go.

Chez Maximka

My elevenses - a toast with Pip & Nut coconut almond butter with berries. Handsome Jake was a bonus.

Chez Maximka

The reflection of the sun rays on the Windrush river was almost blinding.

Chez Maximka, Witney

I enjoyed Carnovsky jigsaw puzzle the week before so much that I've dug out the puzzle my guys gave me as a present for Christmas - Ravensburger The Greatest Book Shop 1000-piece jigsaw. It's been in the sealed box ever since. It was high time to open it and have a go.

While my guys were in school and college, I switched on Netflix, made myself a cup of coffee and opened a bag of Fazer Lakritsi. I don't even like liquorice as a rule, but this one is so tasty, I can hoover the whole bag in one go. You can find it in Lakeland at £4.99. I'm kind of glad they only sell it on the run to Christmas, or I would keep buying it to the detriment of my waist size and pocket. 

Chez Maximka, best jigsaw puzzles

I was recently asked to review a book called The Witch's Feast/ A Kitchen Grimoire by Melissa Jayne Madara. It is a curious book, a mix of information on traditional feasts, witches' rituals and recipes. I have bookmarked a few recipes to try. 

This book will make a lovely gift for anyone who enjoys all things Halloween and witchy.

Chez Maximka, books for Halloween

On Saturday Eddie and I were catching up on the last couple of episodes of What If? on Disney +. We haven't watched the very last one, as our subscription expired, and we decided to stop paying for a while. There is not much we want to see, as we have all the Marvel collection on DVDs. We might go back to it in December when Hawkeye series will be released.

What if? is a bizarre series, some episodes were totally from the WTF-variety. I'm not the biggest fan of all the multiverse-concept, that's why I didn't like the ending of Loki either.


I've read almost eighty books this year. Advent by Jane Fraser is a superb novel set in 1904. It is easily one of my top three choices of the year, if not the most favourite. I loved everything about it: a rural Welsh setting, the slow-paced narrative, the spirited and passionate main character, Ellen. 
It is a modern classic.

Chez Maximka, books set in Wales

I love this little corner of Witney, next to the former blanket factory. It might not have the splendour of canals of Venice, but it's still lovely.


Chez Maximka, Witney

One of the books I reviewed last week - The daughter's choice by S.D. Robertson. It's a modern domestic drama, which deals with themes of love and loss, secrets and lies, personal strength and compassion.

Chez Maximka, modern family drama fiction

The sky looked like someone above there has taken a big brush and did a few smudges of white on blue, as if checking the colour. 

Chez Maximka

Every time we walk into town centre, we pass by the lighting shop, which has these quirky lamps in the window. I think I might get one of them for Eddie as a Christmas gift, we just cannot decide which one we like more: a sloth or a koala. There's also a toucan and a kangaroo. Which one would you pick?

Chez Maximka

Last week I made a batch of Cookies of Joy from The Witch's Feast book. The original recipe is ascribed to Hildegard von Bingen. There is a lot of spices in the cookie dough.
My cookies were quite mishapen, they lost their definition in the oven, but tasted lovely.

You might not recognise the shape of the cookies, but they were supposed to be cups of tea. I got the cup cookie cutter in Lakeland. I think something like gingerbread dough would work better with this cutter.

Chez Maximka

What else did we do in the last couple of weeks? We watched Thor Ragnarok (again), started watching The Green Knight on Netflix (or is it Amazon) but couldn't get into its very sloooow pace. 

GBBO is OK, but would have been so much better without the puerile humour. I just find the sex-related jokes by Noel and Matt so tedious and not funny at all.

Read Fear Street/Overnight with Eddie and started Eight Pieces of Silva.

Otherwise, just surviving the monotony... 

Chez Maximka

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. So sorry you are feeling tired. It must be hard on Sasha and you with just 6 hours of college. Sending love and hugs.
    The weather has been changing so much and so quickly. It was so warm this morning and now I feel like getting under a blanket.
    My fella was telling me about What If? and it sounds so interesting. I will have to wait because my subscription to Disney+ has ended and I'm subscribed to Netflix at the moment. I only like to have one TV thing on the go. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! Netflix is more varied than Disney+, so it is a better choice imo. Amazon isn't bad either for their own series/films.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely photo of Eddie in the sun. Sorry to hear Sasha can't get more time at college to help give him and you a break and better amount of time. That Ravengsburger bookshop puzzle looks a lovely one. I've just had delivered their latest Christmas puzzle - they're one of my favourite brands of puzzles to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I love Ravensburger, and used to collaborate with them regularly until my contacts moved jobs, and I haven't had any review offers from them for about two years. I just got one in the charity shop for a fiver, it was still sealed, and really enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. It's unfortunate with Sasha's situation. Hopefully it will get better as he will get more hours. The puzzle looks lovely and the cookbook is perfect for this time of year, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, the cook book is great fun, even if some of the pages would shock the vegetarians/vegans.

      Delete
  4. Probably the Sloth, but thats because I have a thing for them. I am with you on GBBO it is really not doing it for me this year. Love the sound of the cookies I think the boys want to do some baking today. I haven't done a puzzle in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sloth is my favourite too. I like his pose. :)

      Delete
  5. That’s so hard having less support available for Sasha now that he is older. I’m glad that they were able to increase his college hours though. What a gorgeous photo of Eddie standing behind the tree. So hard missing your mum so much too. Being able to talk to her everyday is lovely but it really doesn’t make up for not being able to see each other. Advent sounds like the kind of book I’d enjoy – have added it to my to-read list. Love those lights – I think the sloth one is my favourite of the two. Those cookies look delicious. #project365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise, Advent is a very deep book, I'm so glad I discovered this author.

      Delete
  6. I found myself nodding along with you! GBBO is a little dull, What If was ok as was Loki but didn't wow me. So sorry that things have been tough and hope that things improve although impending winter makes things seem worse somehow! #project365

    ReplyDelete