Sunday 17 October 2021

Photo diary: week 41, project 365

 

Chez Maximka

We have a new cafe in town - Coffee #1. Apparently, it's a chain, though I haven't heard of it before. My kid was very eager to try it. Don't know if we really need yet another cafe in town, but as the building at the Market Square was empty for a long time, it's better than nothing.

I liked the décor, with mismatched tables and chairs, funky murals depicting the local history, and especially the big book shelves at the back of the cafe.

Eddie pronounced his hot panino edible but not particularly exciting. He loved the Halloweed crunch, which was like a heavy wet brick with icing and decorations (it was awful, honestly). And the coffee was not very good. A mixed bag - we liked the location and interior but food and drink, not so much.


On Monday I spent a long time, traipsing from one shop to another to try to find a winter coat. I don't want a parka or a long puffer coat which makes you look like you are wearing a duvet. I also don't want a winter coat with only one button - perhaps OK, if you step out of the car straight into your office, but for someone who walks everywhere in town, I need a coat that would protect me from the gusts of wind, and thus needs to have several buttons. I am not over-keen to buy a coat online, as I'd like to try it on before buying. 

For example, this coat from Phase Eight looked good on the hanger (love the 1940s shoulders), and was OK from the front. Sadly, from the back it bubbled up, so I looked like the Hunchback of Notre-Dame. Back to square one. 

Chez Maximka

For Tuesday's evening, when Eddie and I watch the GBBO and have a good giggle at the bloopers, I baked some spicy almond butter cookies. They were supposed to be gingerbread men, but I forgot to buy the ground ginger, oups. Talking about the bloopers...

I used a coconut almond butter from Pip & Nut, and quite a lot of spices - cinnamon, vanilla etc. 

It was also the birthday of my late friend Anne, who would have been 95 this year. She was the most wonderful, loyal, caring friend, and I miss her so much. 

Chez Maximka, GBBO

I walked into town, and saw these white doves by the museum. It looks like one of them has three wings, but actually that's just two doves on one perch.

Chez Maximka

That's one of the thugs from the neighbourhood who thinks our garden is his personal toilet. The amount of expensive plants those thugs have dug out, the ruined vegetable seedlings, the killed birds left on the lawn, and of course, the smelly deposits all over the place, from the vegetable patch to the path, from the back door, to everywhere else. 

Nothing deters them. I tried coffee granules scattered around the garden, lots of orange peel, they don't care. I don't want to instal the ultrasonic repellent, as our direct neighbours have little dogs, who would suffer. And I can't put anything on the stone walls either, as we have a big garden. 


Spider webs always fascinate me, with their intricate designs and fragile beauty. As long as the spiders stay outside. Indoors, I'd rather not see them. The other day there was a huge one scuttling along the bed, eeek, I felt like burning the duvet and the whole bed.

Chez Maximka

On Monday I visited a new charity shop, and found a brand new, still sealed Ravensburger Send off for the Queen 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle for a fiver. I'm not in a hurry to finish it, working on it a little bit at a time.

Chez Maximka, best jigsaw puzzles

And finally, my red orchid started to bloom. It was given to me by one of the ex-neighbours who moved to Oxford a few years ago.

In the last week I finished reading The girl from Bletchley Park by Kathleen McGurl. It is set in dual timeline: 1942 and present day. I found the WWII storyline more gripping than the modern one, but overall, it is an intriguing and emotional read.

Last night I started reading The forgotten maid by Jane Cable. It's another dualtime story, set in Cornwall. The Cornish setting is so beautiful, vivid and evocative. I wish I could jump on the train and travel to my favourite destination.

How was your week?

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. I never heard of Coffee #1 either. I love cats, but I am not keen on them in our garden. We don't have loads and they avoided our garden because of Festus. I think there are some cat repellent things at Pets at Home, to spray in the garden, but I might be mistaken. Just worth having a look next time you are in a shopping centre.

    The puzzle looks lovely, I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Coffee #1 before. Such a shame it wasn't that great.
    Winter coats are so hard to buy. I am very particular about my choices too. I need a new one this year. Ugh.
    That spider web is amazing! As much as I hate spiders they do create beautiful things. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Coffee #1 in Banbury too. It's been there since just before Covid. Our opinion was the same as yours. Much higher prices than the chain coffee shops, and the hot chocolate and service wasn't that great. Such a shame that coat wasn't right, looked lovely. It's always hard to find the right item when you need one, but when you don't that's when you find the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that the food and drink was not that great at Coffer #1. I have not heard of it before either. I have been looking for a Winter coat too and have struggled so far. I love the look of the Phase Eight one it looks lovely on you rom the front. Sorry to hear about the back! The red orchid is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve not heard of Coffee #1 either. I like the mismatched décor. Shame the coffee and food wasn’t so good though. Good luck with finding a winter coat. Love your almond butter cookies. I can imagine your friend’s birthday was a bit of a hard day. The two doves looking like one with three wings made me smile. That’s frustrating with the local cats destroying things in your garden and being impervious to the deterrents. We used to have a neighbour’s cat leave ‘presents’ on our lawn; thankfully they’ve stopped doing it now. Spider webs are so beautiful aren’t they? I don’t mind spiders if they keep their distance. That red orchid is so pretty. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame the food and drink at the coffee place wasn't all that.

    The coat does look lovely from the front. I love orchids, that red one is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the impending 'joy' of hunting for new jeans, not looking forward to it and hate changing rooms! Shame about your coat and coffee experiences this week. #project365

    ReplyDelete