Monday 15 February 2021

Photo diary: week 6, project 365

 Another week of monotony, when one day is hardly different from another. "There has been an airless quality to the last few weeks. "Family time", once a precious fantasy just out of reach, is now a sweaty weighted blanket under which four of us must live. Like potholers we shuffle our bodies from room to room, looking for escape routes - a chink of light, a foreign sound, anything that means we do not have to stare into each other's beloved faces for another year-long minute", writes Eva Wiseman in the latest Observer Magazine. While it's slightly exaggerated for emphasis, I find myself nodding in agreement with her article. 

I love my guys to bits, and would fight to death for them, then why do I crave solitude and just hide in the toilet for an awkwardly longer spell with my iPhone. I also dread the never-ending circle of meals. What to cook for lunch, dinner, what to offer as snacks in-between? 

I fantasise about winning a lottery and living with a Mrs Patmore equivalent who would cook all our meals, with me only occasionally doing forays in the kitchen to bake a cake as a hobby rather than a duty. Though we would need a bigger house too. With a library, where you can get lost. Keep on dreaming, girl! 

While the amount of books we have can compete (-ish) with the Downton Abbey's collection, the rest of the house definitely lacks in comparison. I love our old house, I truly do, but it's so much work.

Last week we tried to walk as much as possible to get some fresh air, which was quite nippy. We didn't get any proper snow last weekend in the end, as promised in the forecast, but the snowflakes were floating in the air. We walked home with masks on, for warmth.

Chez Maximka

My Mum has been quite unwell in the last week, and I have been ready to hit the wall to relieve the pressure from feeling so helpless - there is nothing, absolutely nothing I can do from such a distance. 

To de-stress, I find baking helps. I baked a batch of peanut butter slices with Reese's Minis. They were not lookers, but tasted lovely and were gone in an instant. The next day my husband asked if there was a slice left for him to take to work in his lunch box, and I had to say, Sorry, it's all gone. I should bake another batch and ration it.

Chez Maximka

A battered wall by the Church Green is a reminder of the old glory. It would have seen many generations of Witneans walking around in the finery on the way to the church.

Chez Maximka


We cannot still go through the fields on the way into town, but we walked in that direction to check what the flood situation is. Unless you have wellies up to your amrpits, it's unpassable. What looks like a stream in the photo, is in fact a path towards the bridge.

A shame we cannot walk there, as it's an area where we can find good Pokemons usually, and there's a good Gym too.

Chez Maximka

Eddie was checking his Whatsapp (he only uses it with the family), when he said, Mum, just look at the date of this missed video call from you, and I laughed and said that I'm a time traveller, who was calling him from the past. No other explanation.

Chez Maximka

As the RAF base is not far from our town, the aeroplanes tend to fly very low above Witney. 

Chez Maximka

Yesterday's mail brought a surprise envelope for Eddie, it was the certificate from school, saying that his name was entered in the Golden Book for a mature approach to his home learning, submitting work that is thoughtful and accurate. Please forgive me for showing off my child's achievemnets, but life is so lacklustre in the last few months, that I need a little boost. I'm truly proud of my child, and he totally deserves it. On top of his school work, he has been reading a lot. I'm so happy to have another generation of readers in our family.

As a special treat for the boys I placed an order with Uber Eats. I haven't ordered with them before, and there is not much of a choice in our town, but they have McDonald's. Boys were very happy.
We found Murder on the Orient Express on Amazon (with David Suchet). I've seen it ten years ago when it was shown on TV, and I think Suchet is the best Poirot ever. No comparison to John Malkovich, Kenneth Brannagh or Peter Ustinov. 

We can't travel in real life, but books can take us anywhere. I have a big collection of books set in Cornwall. Beneath the Fear is a psychological thriller, which begins with a murder in Oxford, and then the action moves to Cornwall. It made me think, if we'd be able to travel there later this summer. We have booked "our" cottage almost a year ago, in between lockdowns, when we were hoping that the situation would be better by now. Sash shows me the pictures of Cornwall every day, it's his way of asking if we're going soon. I have no heart to tell him that we might not be able to go at all.

Hope you all are doing OK.

 Chez Maximka, thriller set in Cornwall

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Ohh! I would love someone to do all the cooking here too. It does get boring.
    One good thing about the virus is keeping our faces warm with the masks. hehehe
    I hope your mum is feeling better soon. It must be so hard being apart from her and not being able to do much.
    Well done Eddie with the home learning. The certificate must give some encouragement. You have every reason to be proud. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you on craving solitude – it is hard being so restricted at the moment and as much as I love my family, some proper me-time would be so nice! I’m so sorry that your mum has been unwell and I can imagine it must be so hard being far away and feeling helpless. I do hope that she is better soon. The date of the video call made me smile – how funny that it set the date to 1 Jan 1970. Well done to Eddie on his certificate from school – that is certainly something to be proud of. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you are not happy. xx In my opinion, you should definitely be proud of Eddie's achievements and no way should apologize for sharing them.

    That quote sounds so sad. I don't feel like that at all, and we've been working from home for years, almost a decade. We love being together in the same room, having a quick chat about our work, or just having a bit of fun with the dog. I do work from the living room though, as I want to spend time with the dog, at his age climbing the stairs is difficult for him, so we keep him only downstairs now.

    Have you tried ready meals? With the amount of vegan stuff on offer at the supermarkets, I find myself wanting to cook, but with the fridge full of things I wanted to try and bought last time I went shopping (I should buy less, I know, but I get excited). I got two pasta bakes (from different supermarkets) from their Valentine's Day offer and were filled with veggies. I was impressed. Of course, I am not sure how the non-vegan options are, but it is worth a look. Even if you get ready meals once or twice a week, it's still very helpful and there are yummy and healthy options out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine it must be difficult for you to be cooped up at home, I can't imagine you ever really get 5 mins peace to yourself. Hope the fields dry out soon so you can go back to enjoying the walks through there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooking is the worst part - 7 evening meals a week to decide on, especially when you want to cook more lighter meals but that won't be enough for the others. Well done Eddie. It's great that his school are celebrating their work. Ours are still doing their weekly star/learners and picking 2 per year. It's meant to be one remote learner and one in school, but as there's 2/3rds of the class in, the ones at home rarely get a look in which is frustrating when they're doing just as much work but under harder circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This lockdown feels a lot harder. I think it is because the schools have been forced to increase the work for children which in turn increases the pressure on parents. We are now not just parenting but also teaching or at least superintendents as well as our own work and chores. The endless requests for food is demoralising. But well done on going back to 1970! #project365

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she is on the mend soon, must be so difficult not being able to get to her. The floods still look bad hope they disappear soon. I also dream about having a library one day... you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Eddie on his award, I think all the children are doing amazingly in very trying circumstances. I feel for you and your Mum, it's so hard having them far away and I know exactly what you mean about feeling helpless in the current situation #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. We live on the flight path for Bournemouth Airport and we often see RAF planes visit, as we have Bovington Tank Museum and the SBS training area locally. Not seen a red arrow for a while though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely that Eddie got an award. I'm craving my own space at the moment but when they all went out for a walk the other day I didn't know what to do with myself lol. I really hope you can get to Cornwall this year. We had some nice mini adventures last August and I think they allowed that on purpose. I hope the same happens this year. I'm holding onto that hope #365

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I join in your dream of being super rich and aristocratic where some one will cook meals and clean the house?! I would love it haha and yesss add the library to it. Lovely that your son got the award!
    shahira

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a struggle isn't it to keep going, love the idea of a Downton Abbey style home with a whole host of staff. Lockdown might be more bearable then. My eldest would have loved your baking efforts, he is a peanut butter fan.

    ReplyDelete