Thursday 11 February 2021

Peanut butter bars with Reese's Minis

Chez Maximka

 

I've recently come across an amusing quote: "If you like peanut butter pie, you are either Dolly Parton, or someone who loves her"(Kate Lebo, A Commonplace book of pie). It made me think that I don't remember ever eating a slice of peanut butter pie. I do love peanut butter cookies though, and some other bakes. I know some people love it on pancakes, but for me, it's a No.

Growing up in the Soviet Union, I don't think I even tried peanut butter until my early 20s, it was something I only read about in books set in America. Not sure why, as there were peanuts in abundance, and you could certainly buy cookies with peanuts.

We usually have one or two tubs of peanut butter in the kitchen. My husband eats it regularly for breakfast, on toast, with a generous amount of jam on top. My kids are not so keen on peanut butter sandwiches. 

There was a Sun-Pat Smooth Peanut Butter tub in the last Degustabox. Packed with 96% peanuts, it is a natural source of protein. For many people Sun-Pat is the classic peanut butter. It is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. Other ingredients include cane sugar, peanut oil, sea salt.

I fancied baking something quick and easy, and peanut butter slices ticked all the boxes.

My recipe reference was Taste of Home Annual Recipes 1999. I used to subscribe to Taste of Home magazine when we lived in the States, and have a few annuals. This one I got on eBay. I love their Mom's best recipes and meals on a budget sections.

I have adapted a recipe for Chewy Peanut Butter Bars (Meals on a budget).

Peanut butter bars with Reese's Minis

220g smooth peanut butter

125g butter

180g caster sugar

125g plain flour

1tsp baking powder

2 medium eggs

1tsp vanilla essence

2 heaped tsp hot chocolate (I used Cadbury's)

12 Reese's Minis

In a miixing bowl beat together peanut butter and sugar. Melt the butter and add to the mix. Sift in the flour and baking powder, add vanilla and hot chocolate (or cocoa), and beat in two eggs.

Spread into a greased brownie tin (I also added a layer of foil to make it easier to take out of the tin, once cooked). Add the Reese's minis to the dough and push them in.

Bake at 180 for about half an hour until browned, and edges begin to slightly shrink away from the sides of the tin.

Do not be tempted to cut the slices while the bake is still warm. The bake is very wobbly and might even appear under-cooked, but it is cooked. Let it set. Slice into rectangles or squares.

I thought the bars were even better the next day, they were very fudgey and properly gooey. My guys truly liked them, so I might be making them again very soon (if only to take better photos).

Chez Maximka, easy bakes with peanut butter

You can use any smooth peanut butter, and skip Cadbury's hot chocolate or substitute it with cocoa powder. It's just I bought a tub of hot chocolate to enter the competition, and now am looking for ways of using it (I find it too sweet as a hot drink). 


1 comment:

  1. These look great - the kids would gobble them up ! I do like peanut butter (crunchy for me !) but it's not something I ever think of buying. I don't think they even sell it in France, except in exotic (ie British !) stores.

    ReplyDelete