Monday 16 November 2020

Photo diary: weeks 44-46, project 366

We're heading into a festive season, but not many people are in the right mood. 

Hallowe'en has passed barely acknowledged. We had some themed decorations and window displays in town, but none to the usual extent. Even the gadget repairs shop, Ability Systems, which always has the most spectacular window display with big-sized witches, bubbling cauldrons and all the paraphernalia, did nothing this year.

The Bonfire Night was a painful reminder for me that my Mum is so far away. In the last few years she was visiting this time of the year, and would build up a bonfire in the garden. Her enthusiasm is catching, she is like a big child who enjoys roasting marshmallows over the fire. I thought of doing it this year myself, but in the end lacked any mojo.

And now that we're approaching Christmas, who knows what lies ahead. It would be lovely to have some semblance of normality.

These last few weeks I've been struggling with winter blues. I'm going through motions, and haven't done much blogging, except for the book reviews, which I have promised to write a while ago. Hence a three-weeks' load of photos for the Photo diary, apologies if you resent posts with multiple images.

The last week of October is already a distant memory. We had some dry-ish days, when we ventured to the playground.

Chez maximka

We're still playing Pokemon Go, in fact tomorrow is our first month's anniversary, since we started the game.

Chez Maximka

Raindrops on the lilac branch in our garden.

Chez Maximka

M&S has released a big range of Harry Potter-themed food items and children's clothes. I bought a chocolate Golden snitch and a couple of mini tins, and plan to buy a pyjama for Eddie. I did order a pyjama online, but when it arrived, it was huge. I returned it back, just the before the second lockdown, but they didn't have the same PJ in the shop.

Chez Maximka

Silly things keep us amused. We were buying a birthday card for my husband, and saw this Dracula face mask. Of course, someone just had to buy it.

Chez Maximka

Every year we choose one of our favourite characters for the carved pumpkin. In the past we had the Gruffalo, Meg and Mog, Hiccup and Toothless, the dragon from Merlin, etc etc. This year Eddie is taken by the Mandalorian series, so I decided to carve The Child for Hallowe'en.

Halloween pumpkin designs, the Child, Mandalorian, Chez Maximka

Knowing that the bookshops would be closed soon, we headed to our Waterstones almost daily to chat to the ladies and get more books. 
The Midnight Guardians is Waterstones' book of the month. It had fantastic reviews, and if you've seen the quotes inside the book, from famous children's authors, you would think this is the masterpiece of the century. 
We're reading it now, almost finished, and to be honest, I'm not so enthusiastic about it. In fact, we were quite underwhelmed, reading the first third of the book. It gets better, as you get involved in the story more and more.
This is a YA fantasy novel, set during the WWII in England. I might be too harsh, but I think it would have benefitted from more rigorous editing and being slightly condensed. The author loves the expression "the hair's breadth" and used it about six or seven times. 

Chez Maximka, YA fantasy

Pukka teas sent me a small parcel of their herbal teas for reviewing. Pukka Night Time is supposed to help with sleeping, but I'm probably beyond help now. I do enjoy herbal teas, and Night time is a tasty combination of oatflower, lavender and limeflower, but I'm too stressed right now to feel any difference in my sleep patterns. 

herbal tea, Chez Maximka

My first mince tart of the season, and the last trip to Costa in a while.

best mince tart in cafes, Chez Maximka

I walked to the nearest playground by the Trinity Church to check if the playground is open. With all cafes and bookshops closed, I was dreading what we'd do with Sasha at the weekends, as he expects to be taken out to his favourite places. There was a lady spraying some antibacterial solution over the play area equipment. I asked her if the playground would be open, and she confirmed that this time the playgrounds would not be closed. That's a relief, at least we could do something at the weekends.

This is our local church, where Eddie was baptised. 

Chez Maximka

The white doves smooching among the riot of colour on the "ghost house" in the neighbourhood.

Chez Maximka

How dismal-looking are these clothes in H&M? 
I remember reading one fashion blogger who has never been to Russia, claiming that the clothes during the Soviet times were all uniform black and grey. Not sure where she got that piece of information, but her statement stayed in my mind as one of those astonishing propaganda views. If anything, the colours I remember were clashing and very bright. I used to have one of those blindingly yellow fur coats in my school years (pretty ugly, but sooo dazzling). I also recollect with fondness my red jeans and turquoise blue pants with big pockets. All those brightly coloured shawls and scarves...
If anything, I wear more blacks and greys now. I do like black, but these clothes below just make me sad.

Well, this window display is probably what some people would assume the Soviet fashions might have looked.

Chez Maximka

Walking past St Mary's church, we saw that they are cutting the cypress. I read about it in the local papers that the tree is 200-years' old. It's not diseased, but the roots are ruining the graveyard, so they decided to get rid of it. So, so sad. They plan to use the wood for making furniture for the church. It's quite typical of the local church authorities.

Chez Maximka

Every time the rain stops, we tend to walk over to the playground.

Chez Maximka

View of St Mary's from the Leys in the afternoon, when the dusk is settling.

Chez Maximka

More of Witney landmarks - famous Witney Mill.

Chez Maximka

For the 11th of November Eddie's school asked children to paint poppies on rocks. They chose several to put at the base of the Witney War memorial which marked its 100th anniversary this September. Eddie was disappointed that his poppy didn't make it to the final few.

Chez Maximka

It was my husband's birthday. I bought two cakes, one for him to share with his colleagues in the department, and one for us. This is the Neapolitan cake from Waitrose. It's not bad, though very-very sweet. Smells lovely of strawberries and chocolate.
The candles were a bit of a jokey token, as I didn't fancy putting over half a hundred candles on the cake.

Chez Maximka

I liked the pattern of the shadow on the blinds of Next shop.

Chez Maximka

Last week the town has been slowly transformed for the festive season ahead, with the Christmas lights and trees. Of course, there is no switching the lights on ceremony this year, sigh.

Are you still here? If you haven't fallen asleep, scrolling through three weeks of photos, you deserve a medal.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. Sending love and hugs. I think we are all struggling at the moment.
    Lovely photos!
    It looks like you are having fun with Pokemon Go. It's a great reason to get some fresh air.
    Ohh! I haven't seen the Harry Potter things from M&S. They look fab and so does the pumpkin!
    Happy birthday to your hubby! The cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! Pokemon Go definitely makes us go out for longer walks to catch the elusive pokemons. I love the new Harry Potter range, so pretty.

      Delete
  2. I loved seeing the photos! Happy birthday to your husband. I celebrated my birthday too this month, it's quite strange to be in lockdown. We couldn't do anything special, which is a shame. Last year I went to fed crocodiles near Oxford! That was what my husband got for me.

    I don't find teas helpful when I can't sleep either. Have you tried meditation? It's not easy, but it might help you. You can start with a minute or two, everyday.

    Sending hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, and happy belated birthday to you! I don't think I would find a quiet place to meditate, too much family noise around. And by the time they are in bed, I'm ready to collapse in my bed as well, even if it takes me ages to actually fall asleep.

      Delete
  3. Yep, I stayed till the end, now it's a memory test to comment. Glad you stocked up with books for you both before lockdown, love the halloween carving, your husbands cakes (happy belated birthday) shame about the pjs, happy pokemon hunting and I'm really sorry to hear you've been feeling very down/low

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! It's a seasonal wave of depression, it comes and goes, hopefully I will perk up soon. In fact, this week I'm feeling more positive.

      Delete
  4. I stayed till the end as well.
    Good idea to get to the book shop while you could, beats buying them online. Shame Sacha will miss his weekly trip there.
    Happy belated birthday to your hubby.
    Sorry you are feeling so stressed, I did see why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine, we do buy a lot of books online as well, but we love browsing, you can't get that feeling when shopping virtually.

      Delete
  5. I scrolled through to the end. I think the whole situation is making a lot of us down. I love your halloween carving though..it is amazing! Sorry your mum couldn't be there with you for bonfire night.

    Didn't realise there was so much Harry Potter things been released at M&S. All looks great.

    Happy belated birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really struggling too right now, so sending hugs. Glad Eddie is smiling through it all still.I'm finding all the year 11-12 clothes for boys are just like this -grey, black or khaki camo if you're 'lucky' - none of which we like #366

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see you back. You have done super well with all the photos. My weeks have been very boring. Great you managed a trip to Costa and the bookshop before it closed for lockdown. I can see what you mean about the window in H&M not motivational at all. I need to try and get to M&S at somepoint to get some stocking fillers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine Bonfire Night was hard with those lovely memories of your mum visiting in previous years. Hope that you can get to see her again soon. I love your carved pumpkin – it looks amazing. It is good that playgrounds are open during this lockdown. That playground looks like a good one. I love the photo of the doves. That is a very dreary selection of clothes in the window. I love your memories of the bright colours you wore. Lovely photo of the poppies – what a shame that Eddie’s didn’t make the final few though. Hope your husband had a lovely birthday – that cake looks nice. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to go into M&S when it opens again as I want some of the Harry Potter bits and their Percy Pig pies. Glad to hear you are enjoying Pokemon GO, it gets me out the house too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic pumpkin! We're watching the Harry Potter films again so I am obsessed all over again and trying to inspire that passion in my kids but they will never understand the excitement of buying the books as they were published #project366

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear Halloween wasn't as festive this year. Bonfire night looks like fun. The swing looks cool, happy month-aversary. Great click of the raindrops. OooOo A golden snitch. The dracula mask is so cool. Baby Yoda looks so adorable!! Tart looks tasty. Good thing the playground is open. The leaves do look beautiful and colourful. Well, those clothes are smart if you're in the mood for black, which is common in the winter. Lovely clicks of St. Mary. That cake looks funky and delicious, happy birthday to your husband. I'm still awake, thank you for the medal ;P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been so far behind on comments that I'm finally catching up. I know what you mean about feeling down - I don't know if it's the winter blues, like you say, or due to the coronavirus measures or just feeling generally overstretched and worn out, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming holidays to hopefully chill out and relax ! The playground looks brilliant - Pierre would love that ! Our local one is way too small for him. Love the Harry Potter range - Juliette would love that ! I need to finish my Christmas shopping online this afternoon (hopefully !)

    ReplyDelete