Monday 30 November 2020

Photo diary: week 48, project 366

 Melancholy seems to be a predominant mood of the last week. The weather is turning definitely wintery bleak, of course, not to the same extent, as for example, in Russia. I was talking to my Mum on the phone yesterday, and she said the local temperature was minus 16C. I forgot just how cold it can be in the parts where I grew up and spent half of my life. Soon it will get colder and colder, down to - 40Cs and even below.

There is a ray of sunshine in my life, who loves cracking jokes and who makes me smile. Of course, I share smiles and laughs with my elder boy too, but with his special needs, I'm often walking on the eggshells, not knowing which mood he is going to be in. He can smile happily one minute, the next get upset for some reason, known only to him. I love him to bits, but life could be very challenging.

Eddie and I were catching Pokemons on Sunday, giggling like conspirators on the way.

Chez Maximka, Harry Potter hat and scarf

Frosty morning on Monday - the grass in the fields was silver white. It was beautiful, but cold.

Chez Maximka, winter in Oxfordshire

Tuesday was the day of the finals at GBBO. Do we think the right person has won? I'm not sure. Perfect Peter is a decent baker, but I won't be rushing to buy his book when it comes out. I think the format of the show is getting tired and dated. The comic duo is highly annoying. And what was that super nonsense with the spoon that Noel insisted everyone should kiss? Total cringe, as my son says. 

Chez Maximka

Another frosty morning, and how beautiful the frozen grasses are in the fields. Such a pity my camera cannot give credit to the ethereal wonder of the zillions of ice sparkles. It was like walking in a fairy tale.

Chez Maximka, winter in Oxfordshire

I don't have any photos for Wednesday, so here are two snaps taken in Friday. More of the nature and my child, my constant sources of inspiration. And those who tolerate me taking photos of them, as Sash refuses to stand still, or would even turn away if I try to take his photo.

It was a non-uniform day at school, hence the jeans and red sneakers.

Chez Maximka, winter in Oxfordshire

We were running to school and admiring frozen spider webs on the way. The webs always fascinate me, so intricate, such craftsmanship and patience.

Chez Maximka, winter in Oxfordshire

On Saturday Eddie and I were at the playground again, when I had a very short message from my friend. It said that her Mum died. I immediately burst into tears. I knew my friend's Mum was in the hospital with double pneumonia, and was praying she would get better. My friend is also Russian, who lives here. Like me, she hasn't seen her Mum for over a year. I'm heartbroken for her, she cannot even go to the funeral. It's so tragic. Bloody covid, when will we get rid of it?! Will we ever?!

Christmas lights, Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. It's unfortunate she could not see her mother for such a long time. I can understand why you feel upset by this news.

    I 100% agree with you on the Bake off. This is the last year I'm watching it and last year I baked along. I will share a round-up at the end of the week with all the bakes and, of course, a rant about the show. It used to be so wonderful, with many bloggers baking along, and a community feel, but it is horrible now.

    I love your photos, Eddie is photogenic and the landscapes are beautiful too. The spider web is stunning. I am intrigued by them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, I loved reading your post on your GBBO bake-along. Let's hope, the next year it will improve.

      Delete
  2. Eek! I knew it was cold in Russia but I didn't realise it was that cold.
    The frosty mornings here are beautiful and the spider webs are stunning!
    I am so sorry about your friends mum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, it hasn't been as frosty in the last week, though pretty wet, which is worse.

      Delete
  3. Gosh I can't grumble about the cold reading what you used to have to deal with! Although I probably will as I can't cope when the temperature drops even a little, you will probably find me wrapped in a onesie, dressing gown and blanket until spring! I love the photos from your walks. So sorry to hear about your friends mum, such a shame she didn't get a chance to say goodbye :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, you get used to the cold. People dress up sensibly when they go out, and the heating is on indoors. Saying that, after 26 years in the UK I doubt I would find it easy to go back to such cold winters.

      Delete
  4. It has started to get cold now. I can’t imagine that degree of cold in Russia though. Hope that the melancholy has lifted a little and glad your boys give you reasons to smile, even with the challenges too. I love that photo of Eddie behind the tree. I love frosty grass and frozen spiderwebs – they are so pretty. So difficult to capture in a photo though. I’m so sorry to hear about your friend’s mum. That must be even harder being so far away and not being able to attend the funeral. #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise, my friend is distraught, I met her last week for coffee. She has to be strong for her child.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the temp is very low in Russia. Woah, it looks very frosty. Lovely pictures and the frozen spider web looks amazing. Oh no, it's terrible to hear about your friend's mother's demise. May her soul rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andale! It's been cold and snowy for days by now, where my Mum lives. I talk to her every day, and it was -20C recently.

      Delete
  6. Your frosty images are gorgeous! I am not brave enough to head out that early to go and take images just yet! It's brass monkeys here in the mornings! That image of Eddie peeping from behind the tree is ace! I am so sorry to hear of your friend's mother and the fact your friend cannot even get out there for the funeral. It's a worry I have with my parents too... I am utterly fed up of this year now!
    You've hit the nail on the head with GBBO, I don't think I've watched it for 2 or 3 years, it doesn't have the excitement and buzz it once had! I still love cake though! ;) Sim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sim, I am very sad for my friend, and it's so scary to know that there is nothing you can do in this situation. Whenever my Mum is poorly, I feel guilty that I'm so far away and cannot help.

      Delete
  7. Minus 40, that's cold. The coldest I've experienced was in Berlin in 2006 and it was -27c and only for a week. Glad to be back in Dubai now for winter. I don't watch reality shows so have no idea about GBBO, i had to google it to find out what it stood for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, to be honest, I'd rather have minus 40 than plus 40, I tolerate heat much worse than cold.

      Delete
  8. Love your frosty pics. It has definitely turned colder for us and we've had plenty of fog but very little ice or frost. GBBO was over so quick this year: covid risk of kissing the spoon...! #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura, let's hope the next year's GBBO will improve, or I will stop watching.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about your friends mum. Covid it taking away so much from people. Love the frosty photos we seem to have escaped it so far which is disappointing as I like to get out and take photos. GBBO seemed a little rushed I dont know why! I am wondering if it is starting to loose its sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare, it's been a scary year, with so many tragic losses, yet some people claim it's all a conspiracy, and covid is not real.

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear about your friend's mum. It so tough when you can't see your family. I haven't seen my family since last February and it's starting to feel so long - at least we have video calls and phone calls but it's not the same. Hopefully we'll manage to catch up with them (and you with your mum) soon. Tough reading about your time with Sasha too - it must be so hard, not knowing how his moods will change or why, especially as he's so big now. Glad to hear you manage to get some silly, fun times with Eddie still xxx

    ReplyDelete