Sunday 26 July 2020

Photo diary: week 30 project 366

Last week was all about Eddie's birthday, discussion of merits of this possible gift or that, new books and Baby Yoda. It was also the first week of summer holidays. We didn't miss home-schooling one little bit.

I have mentioned before that Eddie is a very big fan of Liz Pichon's Tom Gates series of books. Last Sunday he finished reading the last book in the series, and I tweeted to Liz, saying how excited Eddie is about the new paperback's release in February. She replied, saying that the newest Tom Gates activity books would be released later in the week.

Chez Maximka, Funko Pop Marvel

We walked to Sainsbury's, hoping to buy a birthday cake. Since our local Waitrose has removed its cake counter, the choices of cakes is rather pathetic. Again, we discussed the merits of Spiderman versus Hogwarts cake, but ended up buying a chocolate cake, which Eddie enjoyed in the past. His choice entirely.
On the way back home, we spotted those huge sunflower plants.

Chez Maximka

Last week I was reading an article about recipes which are supposedly misleading about the timings. Several famous chefs and cook book writers were bashed for being careless with the timing.
One of the author's grudges was the description on how long it takes to cook the onion until translucent.
They claimed there was no way the onion would be translucent in 5 minutes. I thought I'd see for myself, whether it's true.
I put a 5-minutes timer, and set on frying a diced onion in a mix of olive oil and butter. After 5 minutes I turned down the heat and added the courgettes.
I think the onion is pretty much translucent. OK, it's not golden brown but when I write in my recipes - cook onions for about 5 minutes, I mean this stage. What do you think?

Chez Maximka

You might remember me mentioning in the previous week's photo diary the skirt and top I fancied in the window display. Well, I was paid my carer's allowance, and decided to treat myself. The top is a bit too warm for the current warm weather, so I've been wearing my new skirt with several old tops (this one, for example, is at least two years old).

Chez Maximka

Tom Gates Big Book of Fun Stuff was out, and according to my son, it was a must for his birthday.
Apparently he needed something jolly and cheerful, as he's reading a very sad book at the moment, The Boy At The Back of The Class.

Chez Maximka

Eddie's birthday was a quiet one. We went out to the Milkshake shop to get a strawberry milkshake with whipped cream, and then ventured towards the Church Green. As soon as we sat on the bench, it started raining, and we had to hide under the roof of the Butter Cross, 17th C market shelter.
My child pronounced it the saddest birthday ever. Yes, he's got a flair for dramatics.
He's got lots of gifts (books, Funko Pop Baby Yoda, Lego Star wars set etc), a cake with candles, but obviously no party with friends. I told him he'd always remember his 10th birthday as a different one.

Chez Maximka

And that's Baby Yoda with big soulful eyes. He's kind of cute but also slightly creepy. I told Eddie I wouldn't want to see him first thing in the morning, when I open my eyes. But Eddie put him on the book shelf next to his bed.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

19 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Eddie! So sorry he said it was the saddest one ever!
    Oh wow! Those sunflower plants are amazing! I don't think I've ever seen any so tall.
    I am so pleased you bought that outfit, you deserve to treat yourself. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I think he's missing his friends, and that's why he was over-dramatic. It wasn't that bad, at least he could go out, my niece had her birthday in April, when it was a full lockdown and she couldn't even go out for a walk.

      Delete
  2. Awww poor Eddie ! We were in Belgium for Pierre's birthday so I let him choose our activities for the day, which at least made up for it a bit ! I think your onions look perfectly translucent - I always put " few minutes" but I'd go for about 5 too. Love the new skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! I'm pleased with my new skirt, as I can style it with many tops and outfits.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to Eddie.... aww sorry to hear he felt it was his saddest.

    Those sunflowers are pretty tall! And the new outfit looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fozia! I couldn't believe how tall those sunflowers are, and will go back to check them out when they will have flowers.

      Delete
  4. You look so good in that picture, relaxed and happy, I love it.
    Also, happy birthday Eddie. I hope this indeed is the saddest birthday he will ever had and that all the rest will be joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Eddie. My eldest had his Birthday in lock down, you can't help but feel a little sorry for them! We managed to get a cake delivered in time for his Birthday but it was a little worrying as there was nothing local at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Eddie! How lovely that Liz Pichon replied to your tweet. She has replied to me in the past too and I was very chuffed. I'm glad you bought the top and skirt. The skirt looks lovely with your old top. I've been thinking of buying The Boy at the Back of the Class for my daughter. Even though she's 14, we avoid YA books for her as they are often very upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot will agree been a worst birthday ever, sad time for them, but glad you made it the best you could.
    Quite right to treat yourself. Laughing at your "old" top you have had for 2 years, dont think there is many clothes I won that are not 5 to 20 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Eddie but sorry to hear that it was the saddest birthday ever as far as he was concerned. It’s certainly a different one – hopefully next year will be much better. Love his cake and glad the new Tom Gates book came out in time for his birthday too. How lovely that you treated yourself to the top and skirt. The skirt looks lovely on you. I’m with you on the onions – that’s the stage when I would consider them translucent/golden and start adding the next ingredient too. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Eddie, hope you had a great day. Chocolate cake sounds fab

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww bless him saying the saddest birthday! I actually think he is winning with that cake and a yummy strawberry milkshake. Books are always a good choice as birthday presents, your right the yoda is a little creepy! His eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Eddie, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much without your friends. Good choice of cake though. The outfit looks lovely how you've styled it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww no :( I'm sorry Eddie thought it was the saddest birthday, it's true though, he will always remember his 10th birthday! Awww Baby Yoda is super cute, cannot wait for the next series of the Mandolorian! A chocolate cake is definitely the best type of birthday cake... I hope you all got to enjoy an extra slice! Hope you have all had a lovely week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated happy birthday to Eddie, I hope he enjoyed his cake. We've had so many birthdays in lockdown and tried to make them special. That Yoda does look a little creepy! #project366

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, Eddie! I'm loving the Marvels action figures and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. I think with cooking it's more about appearance & texture rather than timing because a lot of factors can play into it such as amount of heat, distributing of food, etc. The outfit looks great on you. Baby Yoda looks so cute. I hope he enjoyed his birthday

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with you on Yoda being a bit creepy. Hope he had a good day despite the rain and the declaration of the sadest birthday ever. Its really hard for them at the moment isn't it? I would say those onions are translucent x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear Eddie thought it was the saddest birthday ever. It has been a bit dull this year birthday wise. I was a disappointed not to do what I wanted for mine. Glad you got your skirt and top - most of my summer skirts seem to have fallen apart this summer - so much use at home I guess.

    ReplyDelete