Saturday 11 July 2020

Photo diary: week 28, project 366

Did you notice that the days have got just a tiny bit shorter?
I know it's only minutes, but it feels like we're already getting less of sunlight.

I love watching bees in the garden, they are so full of energy and seem to be working hard all the time. In July they seem to be enjoying the potted lavender.

English garden, Chez Maximka, lavender

Mondays are Eddie's favourite days of home-schooling because they have new art tasks.
This time one of the tasks was to write your own name in five different styles/fonts.

Chez Maximka


For the last few summers I've been picking bunches of spiraea which grows in abundance in the flood fields and drying it for my Mum. She likes adding it to her tea. The plant has medicinal properties and a pleasant taste when brewed as a tisane.
This year I picked a bunch, but my Mum and I won't be seeing each other this year.

Chez Maximka, summer fields in England

Meeting Suzanne who blogs at Expat Life with ChickenRuby was the highlight of my week. It was also the first time I dared to visit a café at Blue Boar to have a coffee. It's been one of my favourite haunts pre-Covid, as it's in a convenient location not far from the school, and I would often pop in there for a quick cup of latte before rushing to do my chores. It was nice to be back.

It's kind of strange meeting with someone whom you only know from reading a blog, but I felt like I've known Suzanne for a long time, and it was so lovely to finally meet in person. And then there was the adorable Bob as well. My son who stayed at home, was disappointed that he didn't come with me. I know he would have loved Bob.

Chez Maximka

Another first after the easing of the lockdown was going to M&S. I ordered some swimming trunks for my guys and went to pick them up, plus visited the food court to get some Percy pigs (oh, we missed them so much), some of their delicious ginger cookies and salted caramel cookies. Then I spotted the mini cucumbers and chuckled, seeing the name of the grower.
I love Inspector Montalbano books and TV series, and yes, his name is Salvo, not T, but this pack made me smile. They were tasty crunchy cucumbers as well, with a thin skin and oodles of flavour.


Sasha's favourite place in town is Cafe Nero, he loves sitting by the window and watching people passing by. He missed the cafe, which has re-opened recently. The social distancing arrangement works fine, but they could do better with cleaning. When we arrived and found a spot for Sash to sit with his father, I had to clear the table and use their disinfectant to wipe the table. The cafe wasn't busy at all, so they could have really done it.
Anyway, my boy was ecstatic to be back, he couldn't believe his eyes when he realised where he's going.


Today we received Eddie's school report, and I was delighted for him. He got 6 Es and 8Gs. It's been such a stressful year, with the lockdown, and Sasha turning 18 and trying to sort out his future respite visits and college in a year's time, his medication issues, etc etc.
I'm cherishing this moment of joy and feeling proud of him.

I've been reading on Mumsnet (where else?) just yesterday how some people scorn these announcements of school reports on Facebook. One parent said that she has a special needs child and this type of posts makes her feeling sad and inadequate as she cannot share the joy. I know where she comes from.
I have a severely autistic child, but I would never begrudge anyone feeling proud of their children's achievements, even if sometimes these posts make me sad as well. I'm glad for these children and their parents, but I'm also sad it would never happen to my boy, that he would never have a girlfriend/boyfriend, wouldn't be able to have a driving lesson, hold a job, be independent.

I love my boys, and I'm proud of both of them, for different reasons.

Today was Eddie's day, and I rejoice with him.

I'm too tired today to take any photos, so here is another picture from yesterday. On top of our lovely noisy neigbours', we also have an additional pleasure of the roadworks in the street, which start late in the evening and go on until 1am. The noise is horrible, and the flashing lights are abysmal.

We have one more week of school, and then the summer holidays will start.
As Lensky sings in Eugene Onegin, "What does the coming day have in store for me? It escapes my eyes, it is hidden". Who knows what the coming summer holidays will bring?



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

23 comments:

  1. Oh no ! What a nightmare having the workmen just outside your house, especially at those hours. Hopefully it's just a quick job. Great to hear you met up with Suzanne (and Bob !) - how lovely ! Sasha is looking so grown up now. I'm glad he enjoyed going back to Cafe Nero - not good that you had to clean up though. Even if I already told you on Facebook, a big well done to Eddie - it's great to get such a good report, especially in such difficult times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks goodness, the roadworks are over now, but it wasn't fun. The next door lovelies are still drilling and banging.

      Delete
  2. I feel a bit cheated that the days are getting shorter when we've been stuck in for most of the lighter evenings.
    There are so many bee's around at the moment. We've had tons in our garden and I think it's brilliant.
    Well done to Eddie with his art work and his school report.
    How lovely to meet up with Suzanne and Bob.
    I am glad Sasha has been able to go to his favourite in town. It must be nice to get a bit of normal life back. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, I'm still rather anxious about visiting the café, but at the same time I can see how happy my boy is there.

      Delete
  3. What a pain about the workmen. Hopefully they're not there for long. So nice to be able to get out to cafes again.
    Well done Eddie on his report. We didn't get any grading on ours. Not even the usual expected/over target/needs improvement or age levels they're performing at. No point because it would only be based on March for our year group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, I've noticed how different our schools are, with the topics our boys studied in the last year etc.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, the situation in the neighbourhood is getting worse, first the renovations and now the roadworks. What a nightmare.

    Lovely to see that Sasha is so happy. It must have been so difficult for him, not understanding what's happening and why his life changed.

    Also, well done Eddie (I'm afraid that I don't understand the school report, I had the 1 to 10 marking system). The discussion on mumsnet sounds a bit stupid. According to this logic, nobody should say anything. If they talk about their child on Facebook, then it might upset someone who would want a child, but they can't have it, or talking about their husband-wife/house/holiday because there are people who are single, renting, and without funds or time for a holiday. Celebrate Eddie's achievements because he deserves it and, if others are bothered, that's their problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anca, the system is different from the one we had in our school as well. E is excellent and G is good, I suppose it equals 5 and 4 in the 5/5 system.

      Delete
  5. How lovely to see Suzanne! Those roadworks look horrendous. So glad that Sasha could go to his favourite place again. You definitely should celebrate Eddie's achievements. If you don't, you aren't being fair to him.
    I've noticed the days getting a little bit shorter too! I knew it would happen, but I'm not ready for it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! Sasha's been in Café Nero a few times since then, and he just loves it.

      Delete
  6. How lovely you got to meet Suzanne and Bob.

    I have seen people say that about school reports...and a lot of other things. On this train of thought then we should never share anything in case it upsets someone.

    Yes the days are certainly getting shorter...I always notice as our prayers are based on certain times and they end up changing by a few minutes every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fozia, it's a tricky balance, writing something, thinking if it might upset someone.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely photo of Sasha he looks so happy to be out in his favourite place again. It was fab meeting up with you, I too feel like I knew you already, bring Eddie next time, I've always got Bob with me. I have no issue with parents posting achievements, milestones are huge regardless of abilities

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute busy little bee. Cool writing fonts! Nice to get coffee from a coffee place and meet another project 365er. A character from a book has come alive! That's a great click of Sasha, good that he was able to go to the coffee shop. You seem like a wonderful mother, treating your kids well. That's a cute quote by Lensky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. why the hell would doing roadworks at that time of night be acceptable? Seems very bizarre a d totally anti social.
    Glad Sasha is enjoying getting back to Costa. I think when we are pregnant have our children we expect them to grow independent and leave home one day, none ever imagine that scenario differently, but as you have found out does not always work that way but you love the very bones of them regardless.
    Well done to Eddie with his report card. Up here they mark from A as the highest, well A* I think and the higher letters of the alphabet are lower marks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed that at primary e was for excellent and g for good...

      Delete
  10. I love your honesty in your thoughts on school reports. How lovely to meet up with Suzanne! #project366

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope there's an end to the building work soon. We had Virgin laying cabling just before lockdown and now the house opposite is having some major work done: skips, concrete lorries. All that is noisy enough, but next door must be worse. I've met people after I've known online for years a few times and it is an odd feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have noticed that it’s getting dark earlier although still late enough to enjoy evenings out in the garden. Lovely photo of the bees on the lavender – I always love watching them too. I love Eddie’s name in all the different fonts – what a fun art activity to do. How lovely that you and Suzanne got to meet up and that Sasha was able to enjoy a trip out to Café Nero. Well done to Eddie on his school report. I can understand the mixed feelings with school reports. I struggle a lot with the end of term posts from friends who have children the age Jessica would be, or who have three children because it hurts to know that I can never have those moments with her or with all my children. I don’t begrudge them sharing it, or begrudge their joy, but I do occasionally hide posts on social media so I don’t have to see them - my sadness is for me to manage, not for others to feel unable to share their joys. Of course you should be able to feel proud of Eddie and share your joy even if it does come with sadness over not being able to have those kinds of moments with Sasha too. #project366

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really lovely you got to meet up with Suzanne and of course Bob. Great job with the different fonts Eddie. I hope you continue with your art in the summer I enjoy seeing your creativity each week :) I think its a bit much you having to clear the table yourself. That's dreadful they are making a racket until 1am, that's far too late.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is still light when I leave work, so I will take that!! Well done to Eddie on his school report, I get so confused with everyone's gradings these days, we have numbers now

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel a bit cheated that the days are getting shorter. I am not sure I am ready for that. There are so many bee's around at the moment, they are lovely and nice to see. Well done to Eddie with his artwork and his school report xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you got to meet the lovely blogger behind ChickenRuby! I hope you both had the most wonderful time!
    I love the different fonts Eddie chosen in which to design his name, all very funky indeed! I am definitely not one to gloat on FB about my daughter's achievements, why should we feel the need to? I'm happy for everyone else but as a blogger, so much of our lives are in the public eye that it's actually nice to retain some bits just for us! Hope you are having a lovely week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete