Sunday 2 June 2013

Chocolate polenta cake

On the last trip to the garden centre I got a couple of croissants for my guys, and a slice of a dark chocolate cake with the cream cheese frosting for myself. Sasha quickly polished his croissant and started working on my cake. So I decided that the next cake I'd bake would be done with the dark chocolate. I was taking risks with Sasha, as he loves my cakes but only if they are done in a certain way. My guys love my orange polenta cake, and I was wondering if I could add a few changes to the recipe they enjoy so much. And thus today's cake was a chocolate polenta cake.




Chocolate polenta cake
Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g caster sugar
200g butter
100g polenta
100g ground almonds
100g gluten free plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla essence
1 orange (zest +juice)
1 lemon (zest)
3tbsp Greek style yogurt (I used Chobani yoghurt with blood orange)
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces and melted
icing sugar + freshly squeezed orange juice for the icing



Zest the orange and lemon and add the zest in the big mixing bowl. Add the eggs, caster sugar, orange juice, baking powder and beat well. Add polenta, ground almonds, gluten free flour, vanilla essence, yogurt and mix well. Add the melted butter and chocolate, mix well again.
Pour the cake mix in the cake tin and put in the oven preheated to 180C for 45 minutes.
The cake is ready when the wooden skewer comes clean.
I usually tip the cake out of the tin when it is still quite hot, though the general consensus is you should wait until it is cool. But we like to eat the cake when it is still warm.
Mix the icing sugar with the freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange and pour over the cake, then dust the cake with the icing vanilla sugar.
I suppose it would be lovely with a proper chocolate frosting so next time I will try to do that.



Well, what can I say? My dear husband said Simon Cowell's phrase which I actually cannot stand "I didn't like it, I loved it". Sasha was very excited when I was mixing the ingredients and couldn't wait until the cake is out of the oven. He demolished a big slice in 60 seconds.



If you liked this recipe, you might like to see the recipe for Orange Polenta Cake.

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm that cake is making me feel hungry, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree with your lovely husband - we LOVE it! Your cakes are the stuff of legends in the Chobani office Galina. Simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks, guys! You make me blush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, looks wonderful! Can I ask, is that what they call a bundt cake tin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glo, yes, it is made in a bundt cake tin. This one I got in Lakeland a few years ago and still use it regularly.

      Delete
  5. Aah! just came back to check out the ingredients but hadn't expected to get a reply so soon. Thank you Galina I'll look in Lakeland tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete