Friday 29 June 2018

3-ingredient scones for National Cream Tea day

cream tea


The sun is out in full force, and today is a National Cream Tea day. Now, I might not be a proper Brit, but that's one of the aspects of Britishness I have embraced with enthusiasm. I love cream tea.
Scones with clotted cream and jam is one of the wonders of British food, which should definitely be celebrated and feted.
I love scones, but haven't eaten any recently. In fact, I think the last time we had them, was most likely last summer in Cornwall. Every time we go to stay for a week in Cornwall, we are greeted by a lovely stash of scones with clotted cream, jam, teabags and a bottle of milk. This kind gesture is always appreciated.
Though we love Cornwall, we do eat scones the Devon way. For me, spreading the clotted cream first makes the total sense.

cream tea


In the last few weeks I kept coming across the 3-ingredient recipes of all kinds. I think there is a cook book published recently on the topic. One of the recipes that I have fancied trying was the easiest recipe for 3-ingredient scones.
I don't know who the original author is, but I'd like to shake their hand in gratitude. There are multiple blog posts and food sites (Good Housekeeping, Prima, even Mumsnet) with the same recipe, so in no way I'm taking the credit for this recipe.

All you need is self-raising flour, double cream and lemonade (for the exact quantities check the recipe out at Good Housekeeping post Cheat's lemonade scones, but as mentioned before, it appears on many sites).



I used Fentiman's Victorian lemonade in this recipe. You cannot actually taste the lemonade in the finished result, so don't worry about the scones tasting different.
They are delightfully light, fluffy and moreish.

Just mix together all the ingredients, roll out the dough on the work surface, dusted with flour, roll the dough into 2cm thickness, cut out scones, and bake at 180C for about 12+ minutes.

Serve with clotted cream and jam. And lots of tea, of course.

cream tea

Are you celebrating the National Cream Tea day? And how do you eat your scones - the Cornish or Devonian way?

cream tea

cream tea

7 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom I could eat one of those right now - with jam and clotted cream, hmmmm ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! They were pretty good, though it's too sunny and hot to eat in the garden.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of making scones with lemonade before, I'm intrigued! Your red and white china is so pretty. The perfect cream tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an inspired recipe, Leta! I think the lemonade provides the fizz that would otherwise be provided by the baking powder.

      Delete
  3. I would never have thought you could make scones with lemonade - good lemonade choice! They look delicious. You do have the scones the wrong way round though, cream must go last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! I like Fentiman's lemonade, it tastes like a proper old-fashioned lemonade. And nope, that's the right way to eat scones. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah the scones debate! :) I put the cream first, or no cream at all. Love Fentiman's lemonade!

    ReplyDelete