Tuesday 17 September 2013

Warholiana: Limited edition tomato soup cans from Campbell's

When someone mentions the name of Andy Warhol, my art school teacher springs to mind. He used to admonish us: "None of that Pop art nonsense, what are you, Andy Warhol?!" He wasn't disrespectful to one of the most iconic artists of the 20th C, just simply telling us off for being not creative enough.

Warhol became obsessed with the visual symbolism of the everyday objects in the 1960s and created a whole gallery of works based on Campbell's soup cans. For him those cans represented the American cultural values. Turning the famous product into his own signature artwork is a strike of genius.
Incidentally Warhol cla
Image of the cans on the left is reproduced the courtesy of Campbell's
imed to have eaten Campbell's soup on a daily basis: "I used to have the same (Campbell's soup) lunch every day for 20 years. Whether it's true or a part of the artist's image, who knows, I cannot imagine eating the same lunch for 20 years, but that's me.


Latest foodie news: "Fifty years after Warhol has developed his iconic series, 32 Campbell's Soup Cans, Campbell's is paying tribute to his work by introducing limited-edition cans of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup with lables derived from original Warhol artwork".

I haven't been able to find a new can yet, but they should be appearing on the shelves of the supermarkets from mid-September 2013. I surely will buy a can, it would look like a stylish addition to my kitchen shelves (if I could find any spare space there). It could make a nice pencil holder too.

"Three years ago Warhol's Big Campbell's Soup Can with Can Opener sold at auction for $23.8 million. Thankfully for UK soup lovers, these Warhol-inspired masterpieces will retail at less than a pound"

Photo courtesy of Campbell's


Four new designs were created in partnership with The Andy Warhol foundation. They are decorative, stylish, vibrant and uber-cool. I think the maestro himself would have smiled with approval.

A bit of trivia:
"Campbell's Tomato soup was the first soup created by Campbell Soup company, 116 years ago. Today Campbell's condensed tomato soup continues to be enjoyed by more than 25 million people in over 100 countries every week."

On a personal note, I do remember eating lots of tinned tomato soup during the first year of my marriage. My husband was a postdoc student, I earned pennies at the photo factory, we lived in a one-room bedsit and shared the kitchen with lots of other students. I did bulk it up with the grated carrots and potatoes though. Ah, the trip down the memory lane. 

Are you excited to see the new Campbell's tomato soup can designs?





2 comments:

  1. I bought these! I loved the labels - so bright and colourul! My girls made collages with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, bought a few, but had none for the post, they were not available locally yet. :)

      Delete