Monday 11 July 2022

Photo diary: first week of July'22, Project 365

Being a child of the land of snow, I don't adapt well to the heat, feeling sluggish, as if my brain turns to cotton wool. The old English houses are also not built for the hot weather. As much as I love our old house, it keeps the heat in everywhere apart from the ground floor. And don't even try to venture in the attic room, it's like wading through the warm soup.

The first week of July was rather uneventful. Sash finished his college term, and is now at home full-time. Eddie still has just over a week to go until school holidays.
It was all about Stranger Things, as we finished watching the final two episodes.

One of the recent books I have reviewed is The Maids of Biddenden by G.D. Harper. It's a fascinating historical novel about two sisters, Eliza and Mary Chulkhurst, the conjoined twins who were born in the early 12C Kent. They grew up to become a talented musician and a herbalist.

Chez Maximka, historical fiction set in 12C



My husband took Eddie to the hairdresser's. Of course, now everyone wants Steve Harrington's hair, but the hairdresser said Eddie's hair is not long enough for that style. Maybe by the end of summer he could get his coveted bouffant. Until then, sorry, mate.


Chez Maximka,


We even looked up online which products someone would need to maintain Steve's hairstyle, and oh my, I don't spend that much on my hair. Stranger Things makes me feel a bit nostalgic, thanks to its timeline. I am a couple years older than Eleven and the gang. Though I lived in a different country, the fashions and the hair of the 1980s ring true. That hair, that loud makeup, bomber jackets, high-wasted jeans, bold prints etc...

And it's funny to see how it's coming back, due to the huge popularity of the show.

Not that we have acquired Steve's hairstyle, but here is Eddie's haircut.

Chez Maximka

If I am not in a hurry, I walk into town, taking the longer route, via the flood fields. I was saddened to see that the local authorities decided to cut the trees along the river Windrush. What's the point? They don't bother anyone, they are not anywhere near houses. Now instead of beautiful trees we have ugly stumps.


Chez Maximka


I haven't painted much in the last week. It being Sasha's last few days at college, I have tried to do as many tasks as possible in town, including queueing for ages in the local pharmacy to get his prescription. The local pharmacies have now become an instrument of torture. You wait for ages to be seen, only to be told that only part of your prescription is ready and you'd need to come again.
We also have a shortage of pharmacists, and some of the newly hired staff don't appear very competent.

The only thing I painted was for the Chocolate week. I have seen this vintage art deco cocoa poster, and fell in love with its colour blocks, and just had to paint it.



Chez Maximka

Eddie's birthday is coming in a couple of weeks, and all this year's birthday gifts are Stranger Things related. I couldn't find proper Eggos anywhere, but you can get these Pop-tarts Eggo on Amazon. I thought we could have a taste on the morning of Eddie's birthday.

Stranger Things Attack of the Mind Flayer game is available in Game. 
I have ordered two ST birthday cards on Moonpig, and got a few things on EMP too (will show them later this month). 


Stranger Things birthda gifts, Chez Maximka

I was washing dishes in the kitchen, when I spotted this fledgling, hiding among the leaves of the creeper on the stone wall. The Zoom on my phone is not the best, but here is a snap of the little fellow. Not sure, if it's a young blackbird? Apologies to all birdwatchers, if I got it totally wrong.

Chez Maximka

More snaps from our garden. Several years ago my Mum planted some seeds of hollyhocks which she picked in the wild in town. It keeps growing each year, and is now taller than me. It's not the most gorgeous of hollyhocks, but every time I look at it, it's like my Mum saying Hi.

Chez Maximka



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. I am not loving this heat either. Our house is usually pretty cool but not over the past couple of days. I'm keeping the curtains shut today to keep the heat out. It's working so far.
    I hope Sash being home full time is going OK.
    I love that Eddie wants Steve Harrington's hair. hehehe I think he'd suit it.
    Oh no! That is a shame about the trees being cut. They do look ugly.
    My girls birthday are coming up and you've given me some ideas. I love the look of those Pop Tarts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, if you're after Funko Pops and tops/hoodies, EMP has quite a good choice. I got a Hopper Lives tshirt and Demogorgon hunter sleeveless hoodie there. Keeping it hidden from my boy. :)

      Delete
  2. Eddie looks so grown up these days. Dare I ask 'what next?' for Sasha. Is there any respite, day care etc available for him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of the heat either. Luckily our house is quite cool being stone, so I just close the curtains after letting early morning cool air in, and shut up the house. My desk is in the room that doesn't get any sun til about 5pm, so it's generally comfortable.

    I've never seen Stranger Things so I had to look up who Steve Harrington is. Hope Eddie has a good birthday

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Maids of Biddenden sounds like a really interesting book, will have to add that one to the to-read list. What a shame about the trees by the river being cut down. The fledging looks more like a juvenile robin to me rather than a blackbird. Love that the hollyhocks in your garden make you feel like your mum is saying hi to you. Hope you've coped ok with the heat this week. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a not a fan of the heat at all. The book sounds great. Our neighbour has a tree that they cut back to stumps like that each year and it grows back within months so fingers crossed the ones near you do the same. #project365

    ReplyDelete