Saturday 28 August 2021

Photo diary: week 34, project 365

 

Chez Maximka, garden in August

I have abandoned my Project 365 some time ago in May, as life has been pretty hectic and I was considering shutting up the blog for good, but I did miss the camaraderie of the group, and hope to re-join it with this catch-up. 

Summer was super busy and stressful at times. There was just too much going on. 

Sash is starting a new college in September, and I'm anxious how he will adjust to a new place. He will be starting slowly, with two three-hour-long sessions each week, gradually building on the hours and days. Not the best of options for me, as it means I'd hardly have any time for myself, and also won't be able to help Eddie to get to school and back. He believes I shouldn't even accompany him to school, but it's a long distance to walk, crossing busy roads, and I will be worried about it. 

Last week we finished buying his uniform and school shoes. As it's a secondaty school with its own style of uniform, we had to order online via the link the school provided, like some blinking Hogwarts. It cost over £200. A total racket, if you ask me.

And we're still waiting for Sasha's transport to college to be sorted out. 

The highlight of our summer was a week in Cornwall, and it was almost idyllic (see my post A week of joy: our Cornish holidays).

My DH is away this week, gallivanting in Italy. He's a grown up, of course, and has been double-vaxxed, so if he wants to take risks, it's his business. But it was not a necessary trip, rather a self-indulgence, and the timing is pretty awful.

I don't dare to go out in town on my own with the boys. Sash doesn't like to deviate from his familiar pattern, and gets upset, if things are different. When the previous week Eddie had his summer school, and I have accompanied Sash and his father to the cafe, he didn't appreciate me staying with them, as this is not how things are done, according to him. And to be honest, he is so fast, that I have to semi-run to catch up with his long stride. 

Last Sunday we did our outing into town, visiting the cafe for a quick bite and coffee and doing groceries (I know, my social life is super exciting). 

Chez Maximka

And from Monday onwards we're staying at home. We do manage to have different activities, like reading, gaming, watching TV, baking and playing in the garden. It's just we don't leave the front door. Hence all the photos from the last week are of our garden and indoors.

I've been taking snaps of the foods from the last Degustabox, including these cute little cinnamon pastries from Gifflar. I first discovered them last year, when I was looking at Tesco groceries for gluten free products. Our friend who took us to Cornwall in his mini van is a coeliac. Since then I also bought Gifflar pastries made with wheat (not gluten free). Obviously, nothing can beat the taste of freshly baked cinnamon pastries, but these little bites are pretty good, especially with coffee or tea. My boys enjoy them.


These are the tomatoes which I have been growing from seeds, collected last year. I had a delivery from The Tomato Stall last summer, and these stripy green tomatoes were amazing, sweet and juicy. I saved some seeds, and have planted them this year. They are growing ever so slowly, and are not ripe yet. I should have probably started to propagate them earlier in the spring.

Chez Maximka, gardening

Hollyhocks which my Mum planted over four years ago, are very tall this year, taller than me. They are not the prized botanical specimens, but I love them, because it's like a Hello from my Mum, every time I pop in the garden. I haven't seen her for two years, and I do miss her.

Chez Maximka

On the plus side, staying at home gives me more time to read. One of the books I've just finished is Secrets of the Railway Girls by Maisie Thomas (2nd book in the series. You might have even read my book review of The Railway Girls earlier this year). Set in Manchester during the WWII, it portrays the lives of women from different backgrounds and social standing, who were brought together by their desire to help the war effort and keep the railway network functioning. I'm going to do a proper review of this book, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Chez Maximka, books set in Manchester

I was looking for some paperwork I need, and came across some of my old watercolours which my Mum brought with her the last time she was able to travel here. This is an old watercolour I did either in my late teens or early 20s. 

I was an incorrigible romantic. When my friends were busy chasing boys, I was absorbed in my studies, books and painting.
OK, there was a boy I was very much attracted to. He was so handsome, and kind too, but he was not interested in me romantically. Years later I knew he got married, and had several kids, but we lost touch completely. I tried to find him online to say Hi and tell him about my family, but my search didn't return any result. It didn't help that his name is very common in Russia.

This summer I had a dream about him, where we met and I told him about my boys. It was a very vivid dream. I woke up, and decided to search his name again. Bizarelly, I found an article written by his wife, where she says he was killed in a car accident seven years ago. All these years he's been dead, and I didn't know it. And now this particular article appeared in the search, when I failed to find it before. I felt very sad. I told my Mum, and we both cried over the phone. 


Chez Maximka, fairy tale illustrations

It's three weeks since we came back from Cornwall, and I feel like having withdrawl symtoms, I miss it. I don't know why Cornwall means so much to me. I never visited it as a child, in fact I never even travelled to the UK or anywhere abroad as a child. Yes, I read and loved myths and legends of King Arthur, but surely that's not the reason which draws me to Cornwall. It's as if I lived there in my previous life, I feel so at home there. 

We started watching Marvel films again with Eddie. We also follow What If? on Disney +, which is quite entertaining. The last episode was good.

After cooking lunch for my boys, I decided I want cheese and crackers. Abel and Cole introduced a Monthly Cheese Club, and it's a beautiful selection this month. A perfect lunch.

And how was your week?

Chez Maximka, British cheese

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. Your husband is brave going abroad at this time, I certainly wouldn't risk it after doing the mandatory hotel quarantine and having had borders close on me last year. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Cornwall. i don['t really have an infinity with anywhere. Hope the new educational place for Sasha goes well, once the introduction is over and hopefully you'll get some well deserved time to yourself. Bitter sweet memories about your 'lost love' and I love how the garden planting is like your mum is saying hello as the flowers bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, I think he's not so much brave as reckless. He's already been in Italy earlier this summer, in June, and then had to isolate for 10 days.
      The garden is one of the places in our house where I feel like my Mum is just round the corner, digging and weeding somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! So lovely to see your Project 365 posts again!
    I hope Sash settles in well at his new college. What a stressful time for you.
    School uniform is such a rip off especially when you have to buy it with the schools badges and logos on. I bought my youngest a whole set of uniform this year and it probably cost about the same.
    Ugh to your husband being away.
    Those cinnamon pastries are very cute.
    Your tomatoes are looking great. I hope they ripen soon. I planted mine early and every day when I go out I am noticing more red one's.
    I'm not a massive fan of cheese but that cheese board does look good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, we even had to buy special school socks, I mean, how ridiculous is that. How long will they last? Soon there will be holes, and we'll have to order again. I love cheese, and could just eat it every day. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed Cornwall, we've not been anywhere this year or last and really miss going away. Hope Sasha's phased start to the new school goes ok. I love those cinnamon rolls too - very more-ish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, I'm worried about Sash, as this is a very big change, and he already misses his school, he keeps showing me the pics of his school.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to catch up with you all. It sounds like Cornwall was lovely - the perfect time to relax with the family. Not cool that your husband has gone off gadding about again when he could (should?!) be there helping you out with the boys ! I hope Sash settles in quickly - it will be a weight off your mind. We don't have to buy school uniform here but we do have a great long list of all the different exercise books and school equipment that we have to provide. I can't believe tomorrow is the last day off (for teachers - the kids go back on Thursday).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see that you are coming back to the 365 project. I loved the photos from holiday. That Hollyhocks is a bit more special because it was planted by your mother. Is she doing ok? I hope you'll be able to see her soon.

    The tomatoes look really great. I planted some "tomatoes" from seeds but the plants look more like ornamental cabbage, no flowers and no fruits. I will take it out and plant something else instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are back with #project365 again! Our new secondary school has a new online uniform shop and it has been a nightmare for all families with nothing fitting! Hope you are enjoying your last few days of the summer holidays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back!

    How lovely you got to go Cornwall. We did wales again this year but want to go Cornwall.

    How Sash settles in well. School uniform is a nightmare!

    Love hollyhocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely to have you back again. Sorry to hear that things have been hectic and stressful – hope that eases off for you. Good luck to Sasha at his new college – hope he settles in well and that the transport gets sorted out. Hope that all goes well for Eddie with being back at school too and that the walk to and from school will be okay. Hope that your week with your OH being away hasn’t been too tough. Love the photo of the hollyhock and that it makes you think of your mum. How sad that the boy you were attracted to when you were younger was killed seven years ago. I can imagine that must have been quite a shock to hear that news. Love the look of the cheese selection. We get an Abel and Cole box. I must check out the monthly cheese club. #project365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, looking forward to reading your updates. I hope Sasha's transport gets sorted out and they both settle back into college and school. I do love Hollyhocks I planted some last year and they have done well this year. Although they were a lot taller than I expected them to be! We have so much work to do in the garden. Your painting is very good, sorry to hear about your old friend. I really do love cheese and crackers will have to look into the cheese club!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to read about your friend. It is so strange when you have vivid dreams ab out your past. It must have been someone wanting you to know. When/if Ethan goes to collage Little E will start high school. I think I will have to transport him over her and it makes me sad. I think our transport ends after 16. Totally get how things need to be done in certain ways. I can only leave the house on my own with both children for very rare occasions #365

    ReplyDelete