Monday 21 September 2020

Photo diary: week 38, project 366

True love lasts forever, claims Cressida Cowell. Eddie and I are reading the final volume of Wizards of Once now. But this line full of pathos could be argued.
Depending on the stage of your life, you might reconsider what your "true love" is. In high school and early Uni years, I was infatuated with a boy who had no interest in me whatsoever. I "suffered" silently, and at that time in life I believed it was my true love. Later I was deeply-madly love-struck again, and thought I found my true love, but I didn't. I can only smile, looking at that young me.
When I met my future husband, it was my true love, or so I hoped. But you know what, my boys are my true love. And that's enough of the word "love" for now, let's move onto more mundane things.

Tomatoes keep ripening, and I need to find the ways of preserving them. I won't be bothering with the tomato sauce, as skinning all those cherry tomatoes will be one hell of a job. I've read you can freeze them raw, and then add to cooking, though they won't be good in salads, as defrosted, they go mushy.
I might do a big jar of pickles too, with mild chillies and black currant leaves.

Chez Maximka

On Monday morning we had a surprise phone call from Sasha's school, saying that his class is temporarily closed until further notice. One of the members of the staff needed to take a covid test, and depending on the results, they would let us know whether the class would be re-opened.

That was quite a bummer. Being autistic, Sasha's way of thinking is rather rigid, he hates any deviations from the routine. He was all set for school. He needs messages re-enforced constantly, so all the weekend he kept pointing to the symbols of school to me, and the school transport, and I kept telling him he was going to school etc.
And then it didn't happen, and we didn't know when he would be able to go back to school. It's not the school's fault obviously, many are now in the same position, but when you don't understand the cause and correlation, the anxiety increases double-fold.

The start of the week was challenging for Sasha, and I hope we'll have a smoother week to come.
It was a PE day for Eddie, so he was wearing his PE kit on the way to school.

Chez Maximka

Having spotted a box of apricots with a reduced label at the Co-Op, I got it for the apricot tart with jam and flaked almonds. I used the remains of the Romanian peach jam, which I bought last week, to spread over the shortcrust pastry, pre-baked for 10 minutes. 
It was a lovely easy tart to bake, and my guys gobbled it up fast.

Chez Maximka, easy tart

Passing by my favourite "ghost house" in the neighbourhood. Would so love to have a peek inside. It's completely overgrown from outside, and in the attic one of the little glass panels is missing. I can see a white dove going and out. I bet it's a total shithouse mess in that attic.
There is also an off-white lacy curtain billowing by the window, and I often imagine a thin white hand waving.
Thanks goodness, Sasha's school called that his class has re-opened.

Chez Maximka

I had a lot of things planned for Thursday morning, and to set me going, had a quick coffee at The Blue Boar with my husband, before he left for his office, and I trotted off to the Romanian shop again, as well as visiting a couple of charity shops in that street.
I bought a big jar of Romanian honey, some lovely cream and strawberry waffles, sharp-tasting sheep's milk cheese and a jar of zacusca (aubergine spread). 

Chez Maximka

Last week I wrote three book reviews. The Girl from the Hermitage by Molly Gartland will stay with me for a long time. I loved this book, it struck a chord with me, and the main character is my namesake. The publisher, Lightning Books have kindly promoted my post, in a thread of several tweets. 


Chez Maximka




It was our 24th wedding anniversary on Saturday. It was a simple ceremony at the registry office, with a few friends present (and our families informed post-facto). I didn't have a wedding dress, and put on my favourite blouse, with shoulder pads, well, it was the 1990s. Of four dearest friends present at the ceremony, three are gone now. 
When I look at our old photos, I think I look so stupidly happy. Who would have predicted how my future would unfold?! And here I am, so young, beaming from ear to ear, full of hope, and very much in love.

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

  1. Ohh! My tomatoes are just going red now. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them either.
    How rubbish for Sasha to be off school. It sounds like it really messes with his routine.
    The apricot tart looks so good.
    What a lovely photo of you and your husband. You do look so, so happy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! If you come up with a good idea for preserving tomatoes, let me know please. I am not sure if I should freeze some for winter stews and soups.

      Delete
  2. Having Sasha’s class closed sounds very stressful – I can imagine that sudden change in routine must be very challenging. So glad that it was reopened again. Your wedding photo is beautiful. Happy anniversary to you and your husband. #project366

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise, it is not an easy change for Sasha, he has to be prepared in advance, we have all those week charts, on when he goes to school etc, which help him.

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary to you both. I made tomato puree with my first batch and had some for salads, the last lot won't ripen so I'm making green chutney with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nightmare about Sasha's school, glad it wasn't for the whole week but I'm guessing that this won't be the last time it happens in the months ahead. That tart looks lovely.
    I'm not going to be working on Wednesdays for a while, I've got things on for the next few weeks but perhaps I could drive over to Witney one day and we could go for a socially distanced coffee somewhere if you fancy it? #366

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary!

    It's nice that Sasha can go back to school. Structure is so important for him and it saves you from explaining why he can't go, when it's something he enjoys so much.

    I think it's an issue with "true love" in books, as it creates unrealistic expectations. People change and, of course, relationships change as well. It doesn't mean that someone is to blame if a marriage, for example, fails after 5 years or 10 or 20. I'm not the same person I was when I got married and neither is my husband and that is great. Luckily those changes were compatible and we are happy together.
    I like the picture from your wedding day. I look back at mine and think that some things I believed back then seemed so important and now they don't. Funnily enough, I think that a wedding day without the whole family is not such a bad idea, as it means the couple have to compromise for a reason or another. I wouldn't have a "big" wedding if I was to get married now, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wnat a gorgeous wedding picture and congratulations on your anniversary! :)
    A crazy week for you... the whole school was closed? Glad the teacher's test came back as negative and everything was able to start again, but what a nightmare. I have a feeling this will be going on for quite some time yet! :(
    That apricot tart looks amazing and totally filled too! Love Coop food, the quality... and quantity are always spot on! Hope you are having a much better week! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read the Wizards of Once of but we love Cressida Cowell. Happy anniversary and I hope the test comes back clear, it must be so frustrating to be missing school so soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not great for Sasha to be off school. The apricot tart looks tasty. What a lovely photo of you and your husband x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary! I hope you got a lovely gift (and a magnet doesn't count !).I can imagine how tough it was on Sasha - and therefore the rest of you guys - when his school was closed, especially as you had no idea of how long it would be closed for. Luckily it wasn't for long - phew ! Oooh lots of lovely tomatoes - I made a pesto and tomato tart to use up ours. How would you make sun-dried tomatoes without the sun? Would they work in a very low oven ? Not sure !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary.

    Must be so stressful with schools shutting at short notice. Glad he was able to go back quite quickly though.

    Yes you can freeze them and then add to cooking...I do that with my curries

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you have done well with the tomatoes. Glad Sasha was able to go back to school quite quickly. Happy Anniversary! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your apricot tart looks fab! You are so good at making tarts, your apple ones always look so tempting too. Happy anniversary, you do look so happy in that photo! Mine haven't read Wizards of Once are they very good?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary! We had hardly any tomatoes thanks to overzealous picking by the kids and secret munching by the dog! #project366

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Wedding Anniversary, sorry to hear about the stress with Sasha's school I cant help but think we are going to have more false alarms over the coming weeks. The tart looks fantastic you really are a very good cook, hope you find something to do with the tomatoes x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm happy you've found your true loves. That's a lot of cute, shiny, tempting tomatoes. Awww I hope Sasha is able to cope with the changing routines. The tart looks delicious. OoOOOo fancy ghost house. Wow, so cool for the publisher to give a shoutout to you. You look lovely, Galina

    ReplyDelete