Tuesday 8 September 2020

Easy chocolate cookies (from a chocolate cake mix)

Emma Bridgewater mug, Chez Maximka


I'm not very organised, when it comes to saving recipes spotted online. Sometimes I come across an interesting recipe and bookmark it, but more often I hope I would remember where I've seen it, but of course, I don't.
Last week someone re-tweeted a recipe for quick and easy chocolate cookies made with a chocolate cake mix. I had a quick look at the recipe which was called something like 3-ingredients' cookies. Technically the name was wrong, as the cake mix includes several ingredients in it, plus she added candy of all kinds to her cookies. I knew the idea of making easy cookies from a cake mix would appeal to both of my boys.
A few years ago I asked on Facebook where to get a certain US cake mix, which is not available widely in the UK. There were quite a few responses along the lines "You buy cake mixes?", as if the idea itself was incredulous. Yes, I do, not often, but I usually have a box or two in the pantry for a rainy day, when I'm too tired to weigh and measure. I do add a few extras to jazz it up.

Anyway, back to that cookies recipe. I scrolled down my Twitter feed, trying to find if I have re-tweeted it. Nope. I knew the cookie dough was a chocolate cake mix (or was it brownies?), with 2 medium eggs and half a cup of oil (125ml). I believe the original poster added M&Ms to her cookies.

We didn't have M&Ms, but we had a small bag of Maltesers, and some packs of Sunny Fruit Mix-Ups, which were delivered with the latest Degustabox food box.

I would love to acknowledge the original poster, so if you do know who I'm talking about, please give me a shout.

Chez Maximka, easy chocolate cookies


You will need
1 box of chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix, but Cadbury's would be nice too)
2 medium eggs
120ml mild olive oil
+
about 25 Maltesers, halved
2 bags of Sunny Fruit Mix Ups (raisins and dried strawberries)
a handful of mini meringues

Chez Maximka

You can use any mild olive oil, but I like Filippo Berio mild and light because it's neutral in taste, unlike the extra virgin olive oil. Of course, it's a matter of an individual taste, so feel free to experiment with another flavour.

In a mixing bowl tip in the contents of the cake box, beat in two eggs and olive oil. If using different add-ons, divide the dough into two bowls, then mix in any dried fruit and berries you like, or candy.
As mentioned above, I added halved Maltesers to one part, and Mix -ups and mini meringues to the other part. Roll the cookie dough into balls, then flatten into cookies and spread on the baking sheet.
Bake for about 11 minutes at 180C. Let the cookies cool lightly before transferring onto the cooling rack, as they are very soft and fragile at this point. Do not worry, they will get the right texture.
If you keep them in the oven for longer, they will be crispy, but if you like soft crumbly cookies, don't over-cook them.

Chez Maximka, cake mix recipes


They spread quite a bit in the oven, so don't cram them on the baking sheet.
You will get about 21 cookies.

Chez Maximka, easy chocolate cookies

These cookies are very easy to make, so invite your kids to join in. They will have fun adding their favourite sweets.

I used Sunny Fruit Mix-Ups in one half of the cookie dough. Sweet raisins and dried strawberries work great with the chocolate base. But again, this is just a suggestion - add dried banana chips, or dried cherries, cranberries, any nuts.

The cookies will keep well in a closed container for several days.

Chez Maximka, easy chocolate


Chez Maximka

1 comment:

  1. Ohh! What a good idea! I would have never have thought of making cookies with a cake mix. I am going to have to try it. Yours look delicious x

    ReplyDelete