Saturday 12 May 2018

Photo diary: week 19, project 365

Every evening Eddie and I read to each other. I would read to him one of the books chosen by him (at the moment we're on Goosebumps: HorrorLand series, no.6), and once I finish, he reads to me from another book. Most of the time I'd be ironing when he reads aloud, but occasionally both he and I just make ourselves comfortable on the bed.
Eddie's reading skills are very good. I think it's the everyday practice and persistence which has helped a lot. Some days I don't feel like reading or listening at all.


On Monday it was a bank holiday, and I insisted that we should mow the lawn, as the grass was getting out of control. While we were working, Eddie climbed on the apple tree. Here he is, in my hat, looking like Huckleberry Finn.


Tuesday: On the way to school a friend told us about one of Sasha's school mates who died the day before.
He had a MD, and was growing weaker. I first met him and his twin brother when they were in the reception. They were super active and like little tornadoes. Sasha and the twins were in the special needs reception together, running carefree and full of laughter. One of the brothers died several years ago. It hit me so hard, I can't stop crying, thinking of them.
What do you tell a parent who lost both of her children?! Whatever I say would sound empty. Such a tragedy.


Wednesday was a cloudy day. I kept looking up, at the sky.



Rhododendrons and lilac always bring me so much joy, when they bloom in May. It's such an intense pink colour, which will slowly pale into off white.


I love chestnut trees, they are marvellous in bloom. And when September comes, I can never resist picking up the conkers.


And the obligatory Sausage Roll Weekly.



16 comments:

  1. How awful to hear about the boy who died. No wonder you can't stop thinking about them. I know that Louise (Little Hearts Big Love) who recently tragically lost her daughter, Jessica, said that she didn't want people to worry about what to say and wanted them to keep talking to her and about Jessica. It's almost certainly easier talking to someone via social media than face to face though.
    Eddie really does like Huckleberry Finn in that hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, for your advice! That's what I also thought I could write, about how I fist met the boys, and the lovely memories I have of them.

      Delete
  2. The reading sounds lovely....
    So sorry about Sasha's school mate. It is a tragedy. It is no wonder you can't stop thinking about them. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to see the sausage roll photo!
    How very sad about Sashas friend. I think what Sarah says is right, the Mum will need both space but not to be left because it is such a tricky thing when there is nothing you can say that will bring him back. I'll be hugging my kids even tighter tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fee! I need courage to write a card for parents.

      Delete
  4. How sad about the twins, I wouldn't know what to say either. #365

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naomi! It's a tragedy when it happens to children.

      Delete
  5. What a shame for the family left behind, to lose one child is a tragedy, to lose a second is incomprehensible. Just tell her how sorry you are to hear her news and let her know if there is anything she needs you will be there for her. Will you go to the funeral?

    Great Huckelberry Finn picture.
    I use to read more with the older girls, part of our bedtime routine was a paragraph each for two chapters of a more grown up book. DD2 hated reading but this was great encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine! Last time my husband went to the funeral, as Eddie was very little then, and I couldn't leave him yet. I think I must go this time. So sad.

      Delete
  6. There are no words that help when you lose someone close, but it's the sentiment behind them that is healing - knowing that people care enough to put themselves in an awkward situation and try to offer comfort. Don't worry about what you say, it's just the gesture of showing that support that will mean something to her. Love the flowers and tree-climbing pictures :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! You know only too well what it feels to lose someone close. I will write a card, and go to the funeral.

      Delete
  7. lovely picture of your son up a tree and I'd worry if you didn't post a sausage roll picture lol. SO sorry to hear about your sons friend. Many of our daughters school friends have died over the years as a result of their disabilities, inc 2 to MD. We talk often about the child to their families whom we've kept in touch with. Their parents say it's good to keep talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! Sadly, it happens in Sasha's school every year, because children come with all kinds of conditions. But it hits you hard every time.

      Delete
  8. Oh god those poor parents, how on earth d you live with losing both your boys. I can't begin to imagine. I hope you are ok, awful news. That shot of Eddie in his hat is really beautiful Galina, he's such a handsome young boy. I wish he could persuade my son to read to me more than a few pages of his school book each day! We must get together you know! #365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such sad news about the child, no parent should have to face that. Love the dramatic sky shot. #project365

    ReplyDelete