Thursday 24 February 2022

The Rune Stone (Dr DuLac series Book 3) by Julia Ibbotson

 

Chez Maximka, timeslip romance


The Rune Stone  (Dr DuLac series Book 3)

A haunting time-slip mystery of runes and romance

When Dr Viv DuLac, medievalist and academic, finds a mysterious runic inscription on a Rune Stone in the graveyard of her husband’s village church, she unwittingly sets off a chain of circumstances that disturb their quiet lives in ways she never expected. Once again, she feels the echoes of the past resonate through time and into the present. Can she unlock the secrets of the runes in the life of the 6th century Lady Vivianne and in Viv’s own life? Lives of the past and present intertwine alarmingly as Viv desperately tries to save them both, without changing the course of history.

For fans of Barbara Erskine, Pamela Hartshorne, Susanna Kearsley, Christina Courtenay.

(for A Shape on the Air) “In the best Barbara Erskine tradition …I would highly recommend this novel” -Historical Novel Society

(for the series) “Julia does an incredible job of setting up the idea of time-shift so that it’s believable and makes sense” – book tour reviewer

“Dr Ibbotson has created living, breathing characters that will remain in the reader’s mind long after the book is read … The characters are brought to life beautifully with perfect economy of description … fabulous!” – Melissa Morgan

“A rich and evocative time-slip novel that beautifully and satisfyingly concludes this superb trilogy. The story is woven seamlessly and skilfully between the past and the present and the reader is drawn deeply into both worlds.  Her portrayal of the 6th century and its way of life are authoritative, vivid and memorable” – Kate Sullivan

Purchase Links - http://myBook.to/TRS


Chez Maximka, timeslip fiction

The Rune Stone is the romantic mystery story of a runic inscription found in a country churchyard and the chain of circumstances it triggers, events that disturb the lives of Dr Viv and Rev Rory. Echoes of the past resonate through time to the present, but can Viv unlock the secrets of the past for the Anglo-Saxon Lady Vivianne and for herself before it’s too late?

This extract from my book The Rune Stone is a scene where Viv’s old friend, wildly extravert Tilly, arrives to tell Viv some interesting news about a television film she’s making about their rune stone, and sees Viv’s little daughter Ellie who she adores. Rory is just leaving but Tilly grabs him in her flirty good-natured way.

“Wow! Am I allowed to hug a man of the priestly persuasion?” Tilly looked Rory up and down appreciatively as he stood in the hallway of the rectory, in his clerical gear, ready for Wednesday prayers across at the church.

“Well,” Rory said solemnly, adjusting his dog collar, although Viv noticed the amused glance he gave to her crazy friend. “Only if you put my daughter down first.”

Tilly gave little Ellie a big kiss on her head before reluctantly handing her back to Viv. “You gorgeous extra special person. Oh, sorry, I meant Ellie, not you, Rory.” She clasped her hands to her ample bosom. “Although of course you too, Rory! I mean …Oh, I’m all of a fluster now!” She fanned her hands in front of her face. “Woosh!”

Viv laughed and Tilly opened wide her arms to envelop Rory in her embrace. She kept hold of him and patted his broad back as Rory glanced in mock desperation over her shoulder at Viv.

“OK, OK, Tilly. Enough.” He disentangled himself and drew back, running his hands through his thick curly dark hair.

“Gosh, is that like hugging God?” Tilly giggled. “Hmm, rather too sexy for God, I think.”

“If I didn’t know you better, I’d be a bit worried for my husband,” Viv grinned, handing a wriggling excited Ellie back to her Godmother.

“Oh, you scrumptious little thing. I could eat you up,” Tilly cooed, “Um, Ellie I mean, not you Rory. Although … hmmm. One very sexy priest there! But hey, Viv, sweetie-pie.  Hang on a minute.” She peered at Viv over Ellie’s growing thatch of curly auburn hair and pouted. “You mean you’re not jealous? So, I’m not the tempting siren I thought I was?”

Viv shook her head with a smile and reached up to kiss Rory goodbye.

“Sweet,” Tilly said, head to one side and closing her eyes. “Still in love after all this time!”

Rory winked at Viv and disappeared through the front door. Viv closed it gently behind him. “Only three years. You make it sound like we’re an old married couple of pensioners!”

“Oh, but if I could go three weeks of relationship bliss, I’d be a happy woman!”

“But you are a happy woman, Tilly!”

Her face fell. “Seriously, I could do with a better track record with men. It’s great at first, every time … then woops, goodbye!” She followed Viv into the kitchen. “Be honest with me now. D’you think I should lose some weight?”

“Tilly,” Viv said and realised she sounded like a school-marm, “You are lovely just the way you are.” She filled the coffee maker and took a couple of mugs from the cupboard above the counter.

I love you just the way you are!” sang Tilly in a strained falsetto as she jiggled Ellie who roared with delighted laughter and clapped her hands to Tilly’s chest. “And this is one beautiful happy baby. Viv, you are one lucky, lucky lady.”

Viv grimaced. “Yes, I know. It hasn’t always been easy, but yes, I am.” She poured out the coffee, plenty of milk and sugar in Tilly’s, and put the mugs and a plate of home-made flapjacks onto the wooden tray. “OK, let’s go through into the drawing room, and sit in comfort to talk about the television stuff.”

“Drawing room! Hey, get you!”

“Sorry, yes I know. But it’s always been called that.”

“I know. I’m only teasing, aren’t I, little sweetie-pie Ellie?” She turned to Viv and swapped the baby for a mug of coffee. “You know, I want one of those.”

“I think you need a man first.”

 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you again, Galina, for featuring my book today, The Rune Stone, the third of the Dr DuLac series. By the way, I love the backdrop to the 'kindle' image of the book at the top of the post! The image of the lady in the frame on the left is gorgeous - can you tell me how I can get a copy? Thanks again for participating in my book tour.

    ReplyDelete