Monday 17 January 2022

Photo diary: week 2, project 365

 I don't know about the Blue Monday, it was a whole Blue week. Sasha's tutor called me last Monday to inform that as they have staff shortages, his college day on Wednesday was to be cancelled, which totally messed up all our plans. 

Sash's not good at adapting to any changes in his routine. Holidays are not easy but at least we can prepare in advance, telling him that they are coming, how long they would last, when he is going back to school/college etc. When things happen so abruptly and he has had no time to absorb the information and adjust accordingly, he gets anxious.

With my husband being away that week, Sash staying at home full-time, it was as stressful as you get. I baked and did some sketches to keep me sane. 

Taking part in the #penandinkchallenges has given me another opportunity to open my numerous art books. The last week was all about great artists, where you had to pick a favourite quote by the artist and do some doodle or sketch with it.

I love Matisse's nudes, and have a beautiful edition of Leonard Cohen's Dance me to the end of love, with illustrations from Matisse's artwork. This is one of my favourite songs. I always tell my guys that I want it to be played at my funeral. It brings back all the memories of when we were young and in love.


Chez Maximka, Galina Varese art

Another of the sketches with a quote - this time from Picasso. I have opted for a neutral quote. Some of the things he said were awfully misogynistic. For example, he said, There are only two types of women: goddesses and doormats. That's just wrong on so many levels.
He was also known for treating his women appallingly.

Olga Khokhlova was the Russian ballet dancer and the first wife of Picasso. She was his early muse, and there are many beautiful drawings of Olga by Picasso. He betrayed her, living a double life, and she was later portrayed as a neurotic, depressive and jealous wife who was dragging on the great artist.
But she was a major influence, being his main model and muse through his classical period.

Chez Maximka, Galina Varese art

The Midnight Man by Caroline Mitchell is one of the few books I read this year. I started reading it on the new year's eve. It is a tense and unsettling murder mystery, with Gothic undertones, and supernatural elements.

Chez Maximka

Erm, that's the stash of books I bought recently. I had to take a photo to remind myself that my book-buying habits are getting out of hand. And that's only the paperbacks. I don't even dare mentioning how many Kindle books I got recently.

Chez Maximka

A very stressful day. Sash was unsettled. I decided to bake some biscuits, as he likes to watch me cooking. Rather than make something sweet, I baked savoury snacks - chunky cheese straws. They were very tasty.

I was reading Bjorn Larssen's Creation, it's a retelling of the Norse myths. Bjorn has a wicked sense of humour. We follow each other on Twitter, and I love his style, so witty and imaginative. I am also a big fan of his books.


Chez Maximka, Bjorn Larssen

A quick stroll through the garden. One of the flower pots has overgrown with moss. I really need to get rid of it, but it looks so pretty, especially with the rain drops, like an alien landscape.

Chez Maximka

The water in the bucket has frozen over, forming a round lid. When I picked it up, it broke in two. I walked around the garden, looking through my "magic glass".


Chez Maximka, nature photography

My first book subscription box from LoveMyRead has arrived. Unlike many book subscription services offers, you don't get a mystery book - which would not work for me, as I buy lots of books, and the chances are they would send me something I already have. At LoveMyRead you select a book for yourself. You also get some treats.

I'll give it a go for another month, and then decide whether to continue. To be fair, their choices for the next month are very good, it was hard to pick one book. There were at least three I would love to read.

Chez Maximka

I had five deliveries last Friday, some for reviewing, some treats that I have ordered. We love the cream tea, especially Cornish, but this time I wanted to try a cream tea from Devon Hampers Ltd. I had a discount code, and we needed a treat, it being such a tense and taxing week.

The scones are huge and rather crumbly, not easy to spread the clotted cream onto them. Strawberry jam tastes lovely, but is a bit too dense, almost like a jelly. I prefer softer jams. I have squirrelled the fudge and shortbread for laters, or my horde would demolish them in one go.

Have you tried a cream tea delivery? What would you recommend?


This Saturday we said Good bye to our Christmas tree. I kept it until the Russian old new year's eve (something to do with the difference in the Julian and Gregorian calendars). According to the old calendar, the new year starts on the 14th, and many Russians still celebrate it. 

It was a bit sad, but as Eddie said, it's now less than a year to put it up again.

How was your week?

Chez Maximka


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. Oh no! That is rotten that Sasha couldn't got to college. It sounds like it really messes with his routine.
    What beautiful sketches and the big pile of books did make me chuckle. I am sure you will get through them in no time. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Sasha, he really loves going to college. As the cases are going down, hopefully the situation will return to normal soon.
    Your artwork is so beautiful, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame Sasha's college was off. Hopefully it's back to more consistency going forward. I'm like you with tonnes of books bought although mine are all Kindle - I've so many to get through they'll last me the year, as well as 2 shelves in my book case still to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nightmare for Sasha and for you with the cancellation. I don't have a Kindle but I could probably match you on my book pile #365

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that it’s been a stressful week with Sasha’s college being cancelled at short notice. I like the quote about painting being another way of keeping a diary. The cheese straws look very yummy. Love the photo of the moss covered in raindrops – I don’t think I’ve ever really looked closely at moss before. A book subscription where you get to choose sounds like a much better idea that one with a mystery book. Sad to say goodbye to the Christmas tree. It always takes us a few days to adjust to how much barer the living room looks without it! #project365

    ReplyDelete
  6. wandered across for a nosey to see how life is treating you. Shame Sash had his college cancelled making life stressful for all of you.
    Wow how your blog has changed. You read a lot of books.
    Nice to see you doing something different and for yourself with the #penandinkchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it has been a stressful week, I hope this week has been kinder to you. I also have a book buying habit normally focusing on travel books and it is also getting a bit out of hand. I would never have guessed that was moss it looks so pretty. I have not tried ordering a cream tea, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always so sad and the room seems empty when the tree goes! My book buying is also out of control: we have a second hand book shack locally where they are 20p each and I can't resist! #project365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum I love a cream tea delivery, we have used Daffodil foods before they have the most amazing jam and cream they make themselves, although the scones are just packaged ones but still very good. Sorry you have had a stressful week, I am glad the deliveries helped cheer you up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that Sasha's school was closed and he didn't cope well with the last minute changes. I hope you managed to destress with all those lovely new books to read

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry your week was stressful with Sasha's college cancelling. I know how hard an unexpected routine change is. To be honest I have no idea how our life will look without the school routine. It is very much needed. I think we might need to get a dog! I do love your drawings. I wish I could find the time to read books again

    ReplyDelete