Wednesday 10 February 2016

Curd cheese pancakes

Eton-mess style pancakes


I make pancakes almost every weekend, and don't quite understand how some people eat pancakes only once a year on Pancake Day. It is tantamount to the attitudes of people in Middle Ages who washed once a year, and thought that was enough. How can you possibly avoid pancakes for the rest of the year? Incomprehensible. That's one of the easiest meals, and one of the most versatile too, as you can vary the ingredients and toppings ad infinitum.
Anyway, to please my younger son I baked a very small batch - let's call it a limited edition - of Ninja turtles pancakes, using matcha tea and food colouring. Eddie participated by adding touches with a chocolate icing pen. And here is our result, ta da! Have to say that the blue food dye didn't survive the heat and got very pale, almost grey. The red one was OK, and green matcha was the best colour.


For grown-ups I have made curd cheese pancakes and offered them with a selection of syrups and toppings.
My favorite toppings are maple syrup and honey. I prefer to buy honey which is not a blend of different countries, so usually go for either Greek, Australian or English wildlife when buying in supermarkets or buy the local honey from the farmers' market.


I also served a few pancakes with crushed meringues, strawberries and whipped cream.



Curd cheese pancakes
Ingredients:
2 medium eggs
 4 heaped tbsp curd cheese
1tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 heaped tbsp self-raising flour
1tbsp caster sugar
75ml milk
butter for the frying pan
a selection of honeys and syrus for pouring (optional)
strawberries, meringues and cream (optional)

Mix all the ingredients together to a thick consistency. Butter the pancake pan slightly, pour a tablespoon of batter per pancake. You will get about 12+ pancakes, depending on the thickness you want.
Serve hot with any syrup or honey, or just dusted with icing sugar.


What are your favourite ways of serving pancakes?


Adding my recipe to this month's Tea Time Treats linky hosted by Lavender and Lovage and The Hedgecombers  which is all about Pancakes, Hotcakes and Waffles

6 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people that only cooks pancakes once a year ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, Cheryl, how could you?! We must covert you to pancakes every weekend mode. ;)

      Delete
  2. These look lovely, loving the turtle ones. I don't make pancakes that often, an occasional treat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only like the small Scotch pancakes and I smother them in yoghurt - they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A WONDERFUL post and such a lovely recipe too! Thanks so much for adding them to Tea Time Treats - and sorry for my late reply, but I have been away for 2 weeks! Karen

    ReplyDelete