Sunday 26 July 2015

Eggless butter cookies



Hello, hello! Have you missed me? Maybe just a little bit?! I haven't posted for a week, as my family and I had a week-long holiday in Cornwall. I did take my ipad with me, but I don't like blogging on ipad, and to be honest, I didn't have much time either. After all, we were in Cornwall to enjoy the outdoors. We were mostly lucky with the weather, there were some showers, of course, but we braved the elements and walked by the sea.
I did miss my blog, and even more, I missed baking.
Today we are cooped at home, what with this horrendous rain, and Eddie asked me to bake some cookies for him. I first told him that I don't have any eggs left, as I used the last ones for making salad for lunch. Then I googled and found  a recipe for eggless chocolate chip cookies.
I have adapted the recipe and converted cups into grams. It took me less than half an hour from start to finish, and we are now enjoying them with a cuppa.
I wanted to use some glorious looking Cornish farmhouse butter from Rodda's which I brought with me from Cornwall. I have tried this delicious butter last year, but it is not available locally. I was delighted to find out that I could buy it online, when I did the food shopping for our Cornish cottage, and ordered two blocks of butter. It is yellow, creamy and oh so tasty.



I also got a bottle of Rodda's semi-skimmed milk to take with us, and it survived the 9-hours-long drive in the cooler bag (mind you, it wasn't a warm day, so that helped).



Eggless butter cookies
Ingredients:
140g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
25g ground almonds (optional)
55g granulated sugar
55g light muscovado sugar
2tbsp semi-skimmed milk
1tsp vanilla essence
110g butter, melted
70g chopped cooking chocolate (mix of dark and milk, about half-half)

Mix all the dry ingredients in a deep mixing bowl, add the milk, vanilla essence and melted butter and mix well again. Chop the chocolate finely or use the chocolate chips (I didn't have any, so used the remains of two cooking chocolate bars).
Using hands, roll the cookie dough into small balls, then flatten them and place well apart on a tray covered with the parchment paper. If you fancy, press the fork over the top to make a stripey design. I had two trays of raw cookies to bake.
Place the trays in the oven preheated to 180C and bake for about 10 minutes.
The cookies will still be very soft, when you take the trays out, so judge the readiness by the colour, which is golden brown.



Let the cookies cool a bit before placing carefully on a plate.
There are about 15 cookies in total, and all my three men declared them very tasty. They are quite rustic-looking and are not evenly shaped, but they surely disappear fast.




3 comments:

  1. Those look nice, I must make them for my brother - he can't eat eggs. Can you believe we took ice cream home from Scotland when we were there and it didn't melt in the cool bag. Not quite as long a drive though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was surprised at how quickly they disappeared. Clearly my guys loved them. lol @ carrying the ice cream from Scotland

      Delete
  2. Maybe the break has helped you get your blogging mojo back :) The cookies look rather lovely - and Rodda's butter is gorgeous, as is their clotted cream - yum !

    ReplyDelete