Tuesday 19 May 2015

Apple and blackberry pie



There are days when only a pie will do to satisfy the sweet craving. I unashamedly use the ready-made pastry, and don't have any qualms about saying so on my blog. Buzz off the GBBO, a real life takes over. I hardly have time to cook different meals for my family, up  to 3 separate meals for dinner to please my three men, so cut me some slack and don't scorn me for not trying hard enough to make my own pastry.
And in case you are wondering, this time I used the sweet pastry from Sainsbury's, and very good it is too. Whenever I have  chance to visit the supermarket, I get a pack of pastry.
I have been checking the contents of the freezer, and discovered that I still have a couple of tupperware with blackberries from the last summer's foraging trips in the fields nearby with my Mum and niece.



Apple and blackberry pie
Ingredients: 
500g sweet pastry (ready-made)
50g butter
6 apples, peeled and sliced
300g frozen blackberries
2tbsp cornflour
1/2tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2tsp ground ginger

Peel and slice the apples, cook them with butter in a big pan until slightly softened, add the frozen blackberries and stir well. Add all the spices and keep cooking for about 5-7 minutes, Add the cornflour to soak in the juices and make the pie less soggy.
Cut the block of pastry into two parts. Roll the pastry and cut out a big circle to fit into a pie dish, which has been slightly oiled. Pre-bake blind for about 10 minutes.
When the apple and blackberry mix is cool, scoop the contents into the pastry.
Roll out the second half of the pastry, cut into strips and decorate the pie in the lattice pattern.
bake for another 15 minutes at 180C.
Serve hot, with the ice cream or cream. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. I use ready made pastry as well, saves all the faffing. Your pie looks lovely

    ReplyDelete